1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World War II movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, Jul 24, 2006.

1. On, right at this moment, TCM

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Just finished watching it again. Damn good movie.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

PATTON nailed it.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You haven't seen a WWII movie until you've seen the 1985 Russian film Idi i smotri or as it is known in English...Come and See.

It's quite possibly the best film I've ever seen (certainly as an antiwar film nothing matches it). And it's a film you will watch once.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

Another Russian one I like is The Ascent (1976).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075404/

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Attention! The Longest Day is currently on TCM. About halfway through.

6. Bru

Bru Member

They Were Expendable (1945).

John Ford and John Wayne at their peaks.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Greatest war movie ever.

Re, The Great Escape, have the theme as one of my ringtones. You should see heads snap whenever my cell goes off in public. Classic

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As a matter of fact, Hogans Heroes was based on Stalag 17.

You could have two categories for WWII: War movies and movied framed by WWII.

Sound of Music and Schindler's List definitey would be in the latter.

I'm a sap for World War II movies. Even brushed away a couple tears recently watching To Hell and Back, the true story of Audie Murphy in WWII.

Really love River Kwai and Stalage 17 (William Holden fan)

Catch 22 is odd but funny because it is so out and out subversive.

I would get chills as a kid whenever Guns of Navarone would come on the late show. Loved that one.

Most of the big budget, star-studded ones blend together to me.

9. There were several great actors in that Battle of the Bulge...Robert Ryan, Charles Bronson among them. The one that stands out for me was Telly Savalas. Savalas was an enterprising, but couragious tank commander in the movie. Great part. Some his lines: To his girlfriend, "Hold the Phone", Hold the Phone", interesting line for the time period. And as he was kissing her goodbye, "Don't forget to feed the chickens." Such a romantic. Gotta love Savalas.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

"That's a good idea Homer, but they've already done some movies about World War II."

Definitely agree a second category, movies at the center of WWII but not actually about the fighting, would be appropriate. I'd suggest Escape from Sobibor.

11. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

Thank you, NoOne. I was scrolling through the boards if only to remember the name of that flick. I can't agree more, saw "come and see" for extra credit in a history class a few years ago, blew my fucking mind. Can't say it's the "best," only because I don't know if I could ever watch it again. Certainly the most powerful, and a must see if you can stomach it.

Draft saved Draft deleted