1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Trade Center

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Saw it just now. It's ... it's ... ehh, OK. Not bad, not great.

Very few people in the theater, maybe 30. Only 2 walked out when, and this isn't really a spoiler, the effect of the first tower collapsing gets loud and rollercoastery. I like Nick Cage ("whatta you faggots want?!"), but he didn't really blow me away here. None of the actors and actresses did. I think Stone tried to be way to sensitive, even with the scenes of destruction.

I guess the storyline is supposed to be a triumph of the human spirit more than a conspiracy theory, like Stone loves. By focusing on 2 Port Authority Policemen stuck in and rescued from the horrific rubble, he's able to tell a good story, and at the end, the right touches of music will elicit tears from those easily squeezed of such waterworks.

Out of 4 stars I'd give it 1.75, maybe 2.

Anyone else see it tonight?

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

No, but I've seen the ads and in it, the narrator says something about a triumph of the ``American Spirit.'' That got me thinking about all those pundits and others who in the aftermath of 9/11 went on and on about how this tragedy would bring America together, that people would be able to look past their differences and realize that as Americans, we're all on the same team. Anone else remember that? How'd that turn out?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fuck you Joe!!!! :D

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

They break out the Coldplay for the commercials, but it's not on the soundtrack. Haven't seen the film, but I really like Michael Pena and want to see him in more movies.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I heard the other 9/11 movie was outstanding, but I don't see myself seeing either one... I'm sure they're good and I've liked almost all of Stone's films. Nixon was bad and Any Given Sunday was shit, but I loved JFK, Natural Born Killers and Platoon...

I just have no desire to re-live 9/11, even though I'm sure we're going to have to with the 5-year anniversary coming...

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I heard the movie was very emotional. I just don't see myself watching any of the 9/11 movies.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"I heard the movie was very emotional."

Really? See, I'd heard laugh-out-loud funny. Where'd you hear that from?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I heard "feel-good date movie of the summer".

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

World Trade Center movie has 237 Myspace friends!

http://www.myspace.com/wtcfilm

thys movie l0oks pimp. ima definitely see it!!
    =]

i was trying to say how awesome this movie is going to be!

Oliver stone is my favorite director! and Nic Cage is my fav too!

This will probably Stone's best since Alexander, and Nic Cages best since Snakes Eyes.

I'm SOOOO pumped that you guys had the COURAGE to tell this COURAGEOUS and triumphant story of the human spirit. GOD BLESS USA!

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Everyone put a flag bumper sticker on their car, and by Oct.15th we were our miserable selves again.

12. Any spoilers on how this one ends?

Draft saved Draft deleted