1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Series of Poker Final Table

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Airing on ESPN right now.

This dumb shit has QQ...

Flop comes 2-6-7 rainbow.

Has 4 million in the pot already.

Guy with JJ goes all-in (they were about even on chips)

Guy mucks QQ.

Gotta be shitting me.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

WSOP Final Table coverage on ESPN

They just showed the much discussed hand between Jerry Yang and Lee Childs, when Yang's all-in rereaise got Childs to fold Q-Q to a board of 7 4 2. So JJ was the hand that Yang had.

Thoughts? It's easy for us to say that Childs made a horrid laydown, but if I were at the final table, knowing that the difference between busting out first or finishing 4th is a couple million dollars, I might have folded too.

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Re: WSOP Final Table coverage on ESPN

Bad beat. By two seconds.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/48003/

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Re: WSOP Final Table coverage on ESPN

I watched all this shit live on PPV (yes, I know, I'm a sicko), so it's great to see what the hole cards were. To this point, it's apparent the deck just hit Jerry Yang like a ton of bricks. If I'm Jerry, I would have called Hilm's all-in too.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

This Yang guy is a sane version of Jamie Gold.

So card-dead right now, it's appaling.

Anybody can play aces and kings.....let's see what he does with 9-4 off.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I disagree. Gold tried to donk off his chips by playing bad hands and caught cards at a sick rate.

Yang just caught an unbelievable deck, played aggressively when he had good cards and simply ran over the final table.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, me too. Because by the final table my wife would be in the stands and would be staring daggers through me, not giving a crap about the bracelet but darn sure wanting to know I was chasing the best possible payout.

Aggression's gotta go a long way in this spot, and queens aren't the nuts. Was this pot raised preflop? If not someone coulda been playing 6-7 suited very easily, who knows...

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Yang was sitting to the left of Childs. So Childs was the first in the post, Yang re-raised, and Childs called. There was about $6 million in the pot at that point. Childs bet out $3 million after the flop, and Yang re-raised all-in, and he had more chips, meaning Childs was calling for his entire tournament.

You've also go to remember, Yang got childs to fold KK earlier in the tournament by making a big bet on a flop of A-X-X. (Yang didn't have an ace).

If I'm Childs, my thought process is that there's a 50 percent chance Yang has Kings or Aces in that spot, and a 50 percent chance he's got Jacks or 10s, based on the pre- and post-flop action. That's basically the only four hands I could put him on. Am I making that call, knowing it's a coin flip whether you're right or wrong and the difference could be worth millions? I have no freaking clue, but to say it was a horrible laydown is unfair.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good analysis. No such thing as a horrible laydown with those payouts. Well, in this case, maybe a set of 6's!

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Upon thinking more about it, Childs probably should have just shoved all his chips in when the flop came out ragged instead of putting out $3 million and inviting a re-raise. He should have made Jerry make the big decision. If Jerry has AA, he'll call, and it just wasn't meant to be. If he's got practically any other hand, it's a hell of a decision. Maybe you get him to make a call with JJ and win a big pot. That scenario would probably be easier to live with.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I don't pretend to know much about religion, but I just watched a hand with Yang and Watkinson where Yang and Watkinson's fiance were both invoking the Lord's name to let them win a hand.

What. the. fuck? Did I sleep through all of sunday school, or isn't the whole gambling thing a sin?

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Just caught up on this, too. (I had a big DVR night last night.)

I think Yang winning is even more of a slap in poker's face than anyone else recently. I loved how the announcers kept talking about how he wasn't even any good.

I was about 5% impressed by Gold, and not impressed at all by Yang. I can't imagine how he even lasted as long as he did. And all his stuff with God ... that's probably why I liked him even less. Thank God, ask God, beg God ... do whatever you want, but when you start yelling "MAKE MY OPPONENT A BELIEVER!! SHOW JOE SCHMOE YOUR POWERS, GOD!" ... too much. Can't take it. What an idiot. I don't thin less of people for believing in God -- I do -- but I do think less of them for actively asking him for an Ace on the river, and honestly thinking that's why said ace showed up.

Draft saved Draft deleted