1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Series headlines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mystery_Meat, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Manuel labor pays off

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I went with Phinally the Phillies. No one has ever read that headline in our paper, so I'm cool with it, cliche or not.

People who work in newspapers and actual subscribers often have differing opinions on things like this. We think it's a cliche because a ton of papers will use it. Most people will read only one of those papers.

3. a cliche? good lord

daily news back page is Ya Gotta Feliz

that's very good

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Browns won the NFL title in 1964, Eagles in '60.
    And just because one city has a longer drought, that means it's not one?
    Look at it this way: it's more of a cumulative effect. Philadelphia has had a baseball team for 125 years, a football team for 70 or 80, an NBA team for 50 and an NHL team for 40. Except for the NHL, it's pretty much been a cornerstone city for every major sports league that's ever been. And in all that time, they've combined for less than 10 championships between those four teams.
    That's a lot of bad seasons and heartbreak to endure.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK...So the Indians are 107, Browns 59 and Cavs 38...with ZERO titles in the past 44 years. In any major-league sport.

So pardon me if people don't weep over your 28 years. And yes, buckweaver's right...it's pathetic after teams with actual droughts have ended them.

6. imjustagirl

I apologize for jacking the thread. I just get exhausted by all the fans thinking they've had it SOOOOO tough. It's been 28 years. It's not like people have lived and died without ever seeing a title in your city.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

HAHA!! Cleveland now undisputed champion of never winning anything! No more weak arguments for Philadelphia!! SUCK IT, PHILLY!!

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Eh, I don't know. 28 years, or essentially 30-plus because Philly's two-year-olds didn't know shit in 1980 (well, they might have already known how to lustily boo), is a long time. The ESPN-ization of sports, proliferation of talk radio, the Interwebs, etc. in the last quarter century pretty much makes every sap who hasn't won something in the last 10 minutes feel like a loser.

Not saying Phillies fans suffered enough, per se. But they can make an OK case.

(and sorry to continue a threadjack, I'm sure this debate is raging on the 600-page World Series or baseball threads. not going in there.)

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Except for dead babies

10. imjustagirl

You need to take that over to the abortion thread.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sure, 28 years of not winning a title.

But ...

* Phillies in WS in 1983
    * Flyers in Stanley Cup Finals three times since then
    * 76ers won NBA title in 1983, made it back to the Finals in 2001
    * Eagles in Super Bowl XV and XXXIX

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

TSP and IJAG are right:

Nobody sucks as bad as Cleveland.