1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Series credentials

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I guess it's my time to complain about MLB's credentials deadline. Oct. 7 was a bit early especially because there are some regional ties to the Rockies.

Anyone else having the same problem with early deadlines and not knowing if it's even worth it to go?

2. hankschu

hankschu Member

Hi Adkins.

I'm not exactly sure what the issue is. You're not committed to going if you apply for a credential. MLB merely appreciates it if you let them know you won't be there. I cover the postseason every year and can testify to the difficult job MLB has in printing credentials and assigning seats on short notice. Why make it tougher on them by letting papers apply at the last minute?

The Rockies were in the playoffs by Oct. 7, no?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't say it much better.

Teams have to deal with the logistics of printing tickets, issuing credentials, etc., well in advance of the actual event (that's why there's always some 1984 Cubs World Series tickets floating around on eBay.)

They don't have time to wait until the team actually qualifies to deal with that stuff. You can't, either. Gotta plan ahead.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with the early deadline. This year, I applied for credentials if the Cardinals and Cubs were playing at home, and planned accordingly.

If they don't make it, you're not out anything.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What everyone else said. Don't blame MLB if you didn't take five minutes to fill out a form.

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

What JB said. If you want to apply to cover the World Series no matter what, you check that box. If you want to apply to cover the World Series only if the Rockies qualify, you check that box. If you want to apply to cover the World Series only for any games in Denver, you check that box.

Draft saved Draft deleted