1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Junior Hockey Championship Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 26, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

7-0

The Czechs have given up.

OK, Canada, keep it coming.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

What is up with the Czech's? I know this is pretty demoralising, but shouldn't they be better than this?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's now 8-0. Double digits are a possibility

GB, I don't think the Czech Republic was anything more than a long shot.

There were 19,600 plus at the game tonight. Sets a new WJC record.

US versus the Czech Republic on Sunday night

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Because of goal differential, Canada will be ahead of the US?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So far, yup

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Perhaps I'm out of my gourd, but I think it's pretty cool that on the back of the Czech helmets there is a decal that reads "Czech Team."

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Rico Fata playing in the Spengler Cup......it must suck to have a hockey career that peaked when you were 16 years old.

As for Brent Gretzky, I don't think he's playing anywhere. Pretty sure he retired after an Allan Cup championship last year at home in Brantford.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah, dude ... Claws even waited to call until after the first period. He's pretty smart for a Merkan. ;)

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Poor Fata ... on one of the Flames boards, to 'Fata' means the same thing as to 'd_b' here.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Canada and the U.S. both looked good. Hard to call either a favourite after one game.

I do wish there were more teams that could be competitive. I mean, Kazakhstan?? C'mon? If Germany and the Czechs can't be competitive, what chance does Kazakhstan have to give someone a close game? Maybe they should let Canada enter two teams (eastern/western) to make things more competitive.

It's weird, at the Olympics every game was a war. Heck, Switzerland even beat Canada and Finland won the silver medal. But these countries can't field competitive junior teams? What gives?

The medal rounds should be good,but I can't see anyone but the U.S. giving Canada a close game before that.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

For teams that won the B pool last year to qualify, they usually end up playing with vastly different teams because the kids from a year ago are now too old.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, yeah. But we're talking about national programs. I mean Canada, the US, Russia, Sweden change players from year to year but remain competitive. I can understand having a down year once in a while (although if Canada failed to medal, it would seen as a national tragedy), but the Fins, Czechs and Germans and even the Swiss should be more competitive.

Draft saved Draft deleted