1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Junior Hockey Championship Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 26, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The best hockey tourney of the year starts today in Ottawa

Here's a pretty good link to scores, news, etc.

http://forecaster.faceoff.com/faceoff/hockey/tournament.cgi?wjc2009

US plays Germany at 3:30 today, Canada against the Czech Republic at 7:30.

Canada plays the US on New Year's Eve in the last game of the round robin.

First place team in each pool gets not only a bye to the semi-final but a couple of days rest.

Favourites in the tournament: Canada, US, Sweden & Russia.

The rest are mostly, "Thanks for coming and pick up your participation medal at the door".

Well, except when there's a huge upset. :)

And one of our own is blogging away:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/blogs/2008/12/26/a-crowd-unlike-any-other/

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I thought about starting this thread.

Anyway, I'm going out on a limb and picking Canada to win.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

i might have to pay attention to the blog...

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

In the lower fifty, the games are broadcast on the NHL Network.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wouldn't that be the lower 48?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I love the fact that Pat Quinn is coaching Canada. He's old enough to be these kids' grandfather and he's also had (unfairly, maybe) the reputation of not being able to relate to younger players.

In interviews, he appears to be loving it and the team has embraced his wisdom.

As he said, the age gap doesn't mean anything because we all have a common bond: hockey.

No predictions from me.

I'm going to enjoy the ride.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well, there is also Alaska and Hawaii.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Last I looked Alaska was pretty much North of most of Canada and Hawaii was not part of the North American continent.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Local cable channel has the tourney opener between Russia-Latvia. Russkies up 1-0 in the first but the Latvians are battling, despite being way outgunned.

Canucks should have their hands full with the teams JR mentioned (that NYE game with the US looms very large). Canada's power play will be lethal, they'll need to find some scoring depth at even stength. Goaltending looks strong, D is mobile and can move the puck. Some big boys back there.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ya know, for a someone who prides herself in being a real American, Sarah Palin has not done a hell of a lot for USA Hockey. She's a "hockey mom" and can see Russia from her house. What, she couldn't do a bit of scouting?

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Should be a good tournament this year. Canada's taking a huge risk by going witj 8 defencemen. If any of their forwards get hurt they could be in trouble and they are not very big of physical to begin with especially with Tyrell already out.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Canucks definitely lack size up front but they were plenty physical in the exhibition games. If one of the forwards goes down, watch for Subban to move up. Remember where ya heard it. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted