1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Cup coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Centerpiece on sports front — and I'm on vaca.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's a major metro out here (pushing more than 300K. What else to cover? A column and takeout on pitching in 1968 (centerpiece, with B&W art). Piece on TV money affecting conference realignment. Gamer on ordinary Major League Baseball gamer of the home team. Soccer coverage on the front was a postage-stamp fan photo refer to the coverage 16 pages inside.

3. Football_Bat

In other words, Sunday.

4. MileHigh

In other words, not adjusting/recognizing the situation and going with a plan that was implemented three weeks ago. Ran it by others whom I trust. All were shocked by what I described.

5. Football_Bat

Good luck getting anything breaking on the cover more than a refer on a Sunday at a metro.

Monday through Saturday, yes, and any day at a paper the size of mine, yes.

That's why most metros are brontosaurs. Some of us are fur-bearing critters darting here and there.

6. MileHigh

Game was set 198 days ago. Eight hours ahead of where we were. It's not like it was a surprise.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

No Sunday section here, so I stuffed it inside because it's going to be 48 hours old by the time a lot of people read it.

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

No datelines on his stories that I've seen. So I presume he's writing columns from home, and they're using Jere Longman's copy for the U.S. daily coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted