1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worker tries to blow up U.S.'s largest nuclear plant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Watching this now on CNN. Don't have a link yet, but apparently a worker tried taking an explosive device into the country's largest nuclear power plant in Arizona. Suspect was caught without incident.

2. Re: Woman tries to blow up country's largest nuclear plant

Here's the link:

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN0244258620071102

PHOENIX (Reuters) - The Palo Verde nuclear power plant, the largest in the United States, was sealed off on Friday after security guards found a pipe bomb in a worker's car as he tried to enter the facility, officials said.

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Department said the small bomb was found in the bed of a pickup truck of a contract worker shortly before 7 a.m. local time.

The FBI and the sheriff's department are investigating but have yet to say whether the worker intended to explode the bomb or if it was a device capable of being detonated.

The pipe bomb has been removed from Palo Verde, which is located about 50 miles west of Phoenix.

"There is no threat to the plant," said Jim McDonald, spokesman for Arizona Public Service, which operates Palo Verde. He added that the public was not in danger.

Captain Paul Chagolla of the sheriff's department said, "Our examination and preliminary testing shows it is a viable improvised explosive device," commonly known as a pipe bomb.

The plant, which has three nuclear reactors, continued to operate, APS said.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: Woman tries to blow up country's largest nuclear plant

I don't think a pipe bomb is going to get the job done -- unless Homer Simpson detonates it.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Great, we have the clown sheriff from Maricopa County involved. Maybe he'll make the suspect wear pink boxers tonight.

Thankfully, the FBI (I presume) will be handling this, not Joe Bozo, so maybe this will end OK.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Yes.

It is always good to put a pipe bomb you are going to use in the BACK OF YOUR PICK-UP.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I first heard about this on Michael Savage.
    He was outraged that none of the reports mentioned the worker's race or religion.
    Does it really matter what race or religion the guy is?
    Do we really need to know?

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If we want to fuel the fire more toward a race, then I guess it is. I don't see it necessary.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My exact thought.

What a moran.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

See? Who needs Jack Bauer.

10. Michael Savage is certifiable.
    So, naturally, he is a well-respected and successful radio talk-show host.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Turns out the would-be blower-upper was an Aggie and couldn't find the air valve.

12. I can tell you this as a matter of fact because I've seen it happen first-hand: If he was of Arab-descent he would automatically get locked up and held as long as possible until the federal government can make sure he has no terrorist ties. If he's American, he'll be on the street next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted