1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Work Experience or Masters of Journalism???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kettner, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Kettner

Kettner New Member

I'm currently in Alberta (Red Deer area) as I'm still in my 4th year of undergrad. Are you in BC or Alberta?

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

In the program here, an astonishing number of people came into J-school (grad) with English degrees (undergrad). Just FYI.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Chad, I'm in Calgary. I did a seven-year tour of duty in Kamloops and worked at the Sun for three years, before getting laid off in June. I have 15 years experience total in the business ... and have worked for and with some great people.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Hey Chad, I'm a Mount Royal College grad and also in Alberta. I second everything Flash said. If you're looking for a school in Calgary and already have a degree, SAIT's your best bet. MRC is four years, though I did know some people who were able to transfer over and make it two, so that might be something to look into as well.

At the risk of being presumptuous, if all you've done is write for the Gauntlet you probably need more/different experience ;)

As far as the master's goes, my thought has always been that if I want to, I still can. For now I'm enjoying working the day-to-day grind. If I ever get tired of it I can certainly get a master's, and if I do I'd have a much easier time getting a teaching job because of my experience in newspapers.

You want to be a journalist? Go get the $25 k job. You can always go back to school if you don't like it, but if you do the master's may end up being a waste of time.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh yeah, and keep checking www.jeffgaulin.com. Between now and the time you graduate, you'll be learn what employers are looking for as far as qualifications go.

6. oldhack

oldhack Member

Lots of good advice here.

Two points:

1. Right now, given your background, you'd have to start on a very small daily or a weekly. You'll be four or five rungs from a metro. A masters might cut that to three rungs or even two. And you also will learn something useful, I would hope, and plug yourself into a network, assuming you pick the right school and schmooze the profs, particularly the ones with a good newspaper background.

2. No one knows what the newspaper business is going to look like tomorrow, let alone in 10 years. You might decide another line of work is a pretty good idea, in which case a masters would definitely help. Look at the "help wanted -- professional" ads and see how many require a masters degree.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What the newspaper business is going to look like in 10 years:

[​IMG]

(Just kidding. The workers pictured here will have accepted severance packages.)

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Read my respose on the falling axe thread.

That will tell you where I stand on the issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted