1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Word count/inch count conversions?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a good rule of thumb for converting word counts to inch counts? I've been writing a lot of stories from home lately, but I'm using Microsoft Works. Obviously, it doesn't have specialized stuff like inch counts.
    Way back when, I remember seeing a chart that did this. But the only thing I can remember off it is 600 words is about 16 inches.

2. Giggity

Giggity Member

Something like 35 words per inch seems to be standard. I've heard anywhere from 32 to 37.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

depends on column width and type size/leading.
    somewhere around 35-38 words per inch usually works

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I've heard what others have posted. 35-40 words / inch depending on your paper. I've done the math from my MS Word doc to when I put it in systems I've worked for and that is usually pretty accurate. The current place I'm stringing for says 300 words = 10 inches for a gamer (so 30 words / inch). I'd ask a designer at your shop for a more accurate number. I'm sure they would be glad to help since they are the once who will have to adjust the design for your story if you under/over write.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

At my last two broadsheet, daily papers, there were 33 words in a column inch.

6. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

The story I just filed averaged out to 33 words per inch.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was always told 35 words equates an inch.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

32 at my last shop, 33 at my current shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted