1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Word added to quote in my story - Big deal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Dec 21, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Also, if I were the desk and HAD to add that in (which I don't see why), I would have bracketed the "and." That shows it's an editing add.

"[And] I'm only 15 minutes from Tahoe."

My guess is they looked at that, realized how tarded it looked and unnecessary and just added the word. Maybe.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

My rule of thumb is if a quote isn't a continuous quote, do not present it as such. Find a way to present the quotes as two seperate comments.

In this case, I might have written: "I know I'm good enough," said McYoungster, who noted that he's "15 minutes from Tahoe."

The phrase "who later noted that he's..." can be altered, depending on the significance of his proximity to Tahoe. You might say "blah," said McYounster, who also noted that his proximity to the venue -- "I'm only 15 minutes from Tahoe," he said -- gives him an advantage. (I'm assuming some context here).

In neither of my examples would the reader -- or the copy editor -- assume a continuous quote.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To me, we're going more gently on one part than we should be: No way a copy editor should have edited in the word "And" in that spot, because it absolutely DOES imply that it was said as a direct continuation of the first quote.

Whether separating with attribution means a first quote and a second can be separated by a lot of actual time and space in an interview has always vexed me a bit, though, and I like IJAG's solution fine.

Inserting "And"....? 100 percent wrong, to me. Simple as that.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep. As a freelancer, you have no recourse. If you have a really good relationship with the editor you could say something, but if he/she is more likely to be put off by your questions, let it go.

I wrote a couple sections for a book as a freelancer earlier this year, and the outsourced editors absolutely destroyed it with some tinkered quotes (the average reader wouldn't know, but I know the difference). I scream when I read it now. But it was a big check and it cleared, so that was the end of their responsibilities to me. I was given no assurances on editing or proofing the final product, which is the case with the vast majority of freelancers' work.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I would assume they are connected if they were part of the same graph...you're making a big deal out of nothing here...Really???

6. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

But that's just it. I'm not making a big deal about it. I'm asking if I should.

If you don't think having a word added to a quote in your story is a big deal, that's fine. I have no problem with that. But that's what I'm asking ... is this a big enough deal to bring up with my editor? The consensus seems to be that, while it wasn't the right thing for an editor to do, it doesn't rise to the level of saying anything about it, especially given that I'm a freelancer. And that sounds about right to me. I've even learned a little bit in the course of the thread.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I would at least ask the editor to get his thinking behind the change. You do deserve to know why the word was added.

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I don't read my stories once they are published. It spares me these kind of anxious moments. Plus, I couldn't get along better with the copy desk.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This seems ridiculously dangerous though if they DO really screw something up. I always check my stories after they've been published. You don't want to head into a meeting with a coach oblivious to the fact that the desk changed his name from Coach Hay to Coach Gay by mistake.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Maybe this is only because I've been doing more editing lately, but considering how much copy editors usually help a story, I don't see the big deal.
    Sure, it's their job to make the story better by editing it, but sometimes that's a lot of fuckin work. But it's also the job of the reporter to turn in clean copy, which we all know a lot of reporters don't always do (myself included).
    This isn't something to make a big deal about. Because imagine if the copy editor made a big stink to you every time you omitted a word or something like that.
    If it becomes habit, then I'd be worried.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

What if the word "molehill" was changed to "mountain"?

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

every rule has an exception. but it's not like the editor accidentally changed "shot" to "shit."

Draft saved Draft deleted