1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woodward's book

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beanpole, Oct 1, 2006.

1. beanpole

beanpole Member

OK, Bob Woodward has a new book. A good read, from all reports, with detail of Bush getting advice from Kissinger, with alleged evidence that the Bush administration is lying about Iraq, and fun stuff about the dysfunctional Rumsfeld-Rice working relationship.

Here's my question: Why isn't this in the Washington Post. Woodward's still an assistant ME of the paper -- wouldn't the newspaper industry be better off if one of its biggest stars were breaking news in the daily newspaper instead of churning out a tell-all book (and making millions) every year or so?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I think part of having a guy of Woodward's talent and reputation is the understand he's going to be writing books on the side, and you just live with it.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Probably. But Woodward would probably then say, "Piss off" and find somewhere else to work, if not as a complete free lancer. He holds all the cards.

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Woodward writes the book, the Post runs the excerpt. It's still appearing in the paper first.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

One of the advantages to having very plugged-in people on staff is not always what they write, but the tips they can give to other reporters. I'm just saying that what we see in the WP under Woodward's byline may not be the extent of his contributions. Bernstein didn't stay at the Post and become an AME. No doubt the situation benefits both Woodward and the paper.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

after the blow jobs Bob gave the Bush Admin the last two books, this seems his attempt at redemption. Bob & Judy Miller gave Bush center and left credibility.

7. He got scooped on this book -- the NYT had someone buy an early copy -- and he got scooped on Deep Throat's identity after 30 years. I'd say his "special realtionship" with the WaPo isn't doing the paper any good.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Woodward knows what time it is, as he knows that he's already gotten all he's going to get
    out of W and his syncophants. The WPs been in bed with 43 throughout this administration,
    primarily because of the bootlicking corporate types running the corporation. Woodward --
    like everyone else -- knows what kind of mental torture and blue hell we're all in for
    from 11/8/06 through early '09, with W hated, isolated, and out of mental control. About
    damn time he did the right thing. Fasten
    your seat belts . . .

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't understand why he's not doing that anyway. He could probably make far more on the rubber chicken circuit than he brings in at the Post.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sing it, brother Ben.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I've never bought books that attempt to assess current political situaions (Imperial Hubris, Fiasco, etc.), and while I am sure some of them are accurate depictions, I have stayed away because I figure they are politically motivated at some level, either overtly or subversively.

Having said that, my copy of the Woodward book will be here tomorrow. Someone with Woodward's track record ought to be taken seriously. Woodward might just be the most trusted man in America (if Brian Williams doesn't get the nod).

12. He's a trustworthy stenographer, and a reliable barometer of which way the wind's blowing. The fact that he's walking back his previous two books with this one indicates that the GOP cannibalism festival is wide open.

Draft saved Draft deleted