1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's NCAA tourney running, or jogging thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog eat dog world, Mar 18, 2013.

1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Deja vu all over again. This will never be the bracket fun for Vegas and others.

Same damn teams at the top....every...friggin...year....

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And the winner plays Iowa Western Community College.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Running, jogging, makes no difference. The women's tournament is still the torn ACL of the sports world.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh my God do I disagree. That is going to be the most hilarious entertainment on TV the next three weeks. The airballs that miss by three feet are such a sight to behold.

LTL's scouting report:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Forced equality is a problem with this event in the following sense. It shouldn't be a 64-team event. It should be 32, the way the men's tourney was back in the '60s and '70s. The teams from 33 down are not competitive, and surely no fun to watch.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You'd still have tons of blowouts. Baylor played five games this season that they won by 20 or more points against teams that were in the top 25 at the time, including a couple in the 30-plus range.

7. heyabbott

I've got daughters and one was the captain of her HS ball team. Proud of her for playing as a 5'2" shooting guard and 3 year starter. But the game is a joke, it's for friends and family, not fans.

Could Griner play for competitive boys high school team? Maybe but she couldn't start. But most men's Juco teams would run UConn and Baylor out the building and for that reason it's a fraud to cover the sport as anything more than a specialty item.

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

They wouldn't beat men's teams, so they suck? Is that the logic here?

9. heyabbott

no, the logic is the skills they display in their sport are so ordinary, that watching good high school boys basketball is an equivalency. The logic, further, is that the level of competition is so tiny that those who cover this fraud are engaged in deceiving the public.

National tv coverage, scores of journalists, reams of paper and teragigs of information all engaged to attempt to convince the American public that women's college basketball is a skilled competitive sport on a similar scale as men's college. This is the big lie perpetuated by CBS, ESPN, SI...

The men's DII and Juco tourneys are better displays of skill and competition and you can't even get a score on a crawl at 3am on ESPNU.

The women's game does suck, aesthetically. It lacks the skill and competitiveness of high school basketball yet foisted upon the public as some pure and beautiful version of basketball. Its coverage is greater than its worth and demand and those covering it can't or won't be honest

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Looking at last year's tournament, three teams seeded 11th or lower won their first round games: Kansas, Marist and Gonzaga. No. 2 seeded Kentucky won by just 6 over McNeese State. No. 3 St. John's won by just 2 over Creighton. No. 5 Georgetown won by just 5 over Fresno State.

In the men's tournament, seven seeded 11th or lower won their first-round games. So while there's more parity in the men's game, it's not like Cinderellas don't happen in the women's game.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Bunch of sports jockeys using this thread to repeat the same old tired jibes regarding women's basketball makes me very glad to no longer be one of you.

I mean, you all can HAVE sports journalism. But I'm happier than usual to not be in the club.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Elena. Delle. Donne.

Draft saved Draft deleted