1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

women & nascar

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by happy, Jul 15, 2006.

1. happy

happy New Member

x

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, they did say "most" and not "all." So I guess technically they "may" be right. :-\

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Not sure I'd characterize that as a diss, but it's damn disrespectful for women covering NASCAR.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Asshats :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yea, Jenna Fryer is just there because of her boyfriend ::) ::) ::) ::)

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It says most. I would guess that is an overwhelmingly true statement.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It is.

And it's too bad happy engaged in overselective editing, because he completely deleted all references to pit lizards.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You have 43 teams, each with about three dozen crew members, each of them with another half-dozen or so wives and/or sisters and/or friends or girlfriends.

So you have potentially a group of 10,000 or so females that could at some point be walking by themselves in the garage or pit area.

Compare that to the number of female journalists covering NASCAR, and I think the "most" word is probably accurate.

And the entire point of the statement was out of respect to the women, whom many might incorrectly believe are "pit lizards."

Thus, anyone offended . . . is just looking for a reason to be offended.

8. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

In full context (written by crew chief Bootie Barker)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myth: The pits are full of women nicknamed "pit lizards."

Fact: Not anymore. A 'pit lizard' is what we call a woman who's just at the track to try and meet up with a driver. They're basically what someone might call a "groupie."

There used to be more of them in the garage, but now, with NASCAR's credential process, it's much more difficult to get into the garage.

You see women standing along the fence trying to get a driver's attention, but most of the time those fans have a tendency to be a little overzealous.

They're usually decked out head to toe in the colors of their favorite driver, and can be pretty loud. The driver may walk over and sign an autograph for them, but that's about it.

Most of the women you see walking by themselves in the garage or pit area now are usually there because they have a boyfriend or husband who works on one of the teams, or they're a crew member's sister or friend.

The thing is, you pretty much have to know someone in order to get a garage pass. So, there are still "pit lizards," but to figure out how to get in the garage in the first place, it takes a more sophisticated "pit lizard."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see how this is that offensive, although there are also plenty of women who are there to work (how about all those PR people?). Still, this is basically harmless.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Janna Fryer dates a driver? :D

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I'm glad I was a puck bunny and not a pit lizard. Puck bunny sounds so much nicer.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, there's another word for both that doesn't sound quite as nice.

12. Outta Here

Outta Here Guest

That would be "helmet licker" I presume?

Draft saved Draft deleted