1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women in Sports Departments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WriteThinking, Jun 8, 2008.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Are there really no reasons for this that might be based, at least in part, upon their experiences as women in sports departments?

This is part of what I'd like to discuss. I understand that, of course, there are good and bad superiors, subordinates, colleagues, whatever, and that it's almost never solely because of their gender.

But I do think there are differences between male and female sportswriters, editors and managers, and in the ways that they approach and do their jobs and interviews, and handle their sources, responsibilities and staffs.

To think otherwise seems incorrect, too, whether politically so, or not. In fact, to not make any distinction at all seems to me to be almost as insulting as making too much of a distinction, whether on the basis of gender, race or any other intrinsic part of someone.

I hope that makes sense, at least.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that, F_T

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

W-T, I think she got out of sports because she wanted a day job and moved to the features desk, so she could work M-F, dayside.
    I'm a dude and I got out of sports for the same reason.

I can't and won't speak for her but it wasn't because of some sort of internal pressures. She was and still is a talented designer and, I think the lead designer at her paper and sports wanted to keep her but dayside design jobs in sports don't exist.

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I'm as old-school, rugged and rednecky as anyone you'll find in a newsroom. That said, the best managing editor I've ever worked with was a woman, the best city reporter I ever worked with was a woman and the best publisher I've ever had was a woman.

Worked with women more seldom in sports, but they held up their end. In preps, most of the women we hired part time tend to have actually played sports at the prep level than the men we hired. Not that it makes a difference, but ...

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

What made those people great at their jobs, whether gender-related, or not?

What'd you like about them so much? What made them better, or maybe worse, either in some ways, or overall, than some of the men with or for whom you may have worked?

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seriously, are you looking for a specific answer, in which case please just tell us and spare us this exercise in cluelessness, or are you just refusing to recognize that these inane questions apply to either gender?

How about Check One:

--I like women in the Sports Department because they are warm and sensitive and smell nice.

--I don't like women in the Sports Department because they're all minority hires who don't know shit and then they yell a lot to cover their inadequacies.

I mean, if you're after a basic generalization, let's just spell it out.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Man, I don't know if the individual who started this thread is a bitter male or a young, inexperienced female.

However, it is good to see the ability to club to death a poster whose question has been deemed unworthy remains intact.
    ::)

WriteThinking, I can only speak of our shop and my dealings with other reporters and their stories:

1) We had several women on the sports staff when I joined years ago. One of our more talented writers helped me out a lot when I was rough around the edges. She moved on -- but to a better job.

I never sensed any hostility in our shop. The women who left generally got better gigs. Ditto for the men.

I've run into other reporters who can rip on a male boss with as much gusto as they would a female. And the reporters are of both genders.

2) Now this could be deemed offensive. I've never met a female who was inherently worse than a male for the job of editor/manager. One of my dearest friends in the biz and life away from work was a wonderful editor. Yes SHE was. I've encountered male editors who were...well...not good at atll.

Gender shouldn't and doesn't matter.

3) Hopefully, they help put out a good product, whether their job is editing or writing. I'd say it's obvious the same would apply to a male.

4) Again, gender is not relevant. Over the years I've had several young writers, male and female, who couldn't be bothered to go over their work with me so I could help them become better writers.

I was pissed off in all instances. I appreciate an informative, colorful story and couldn't care less who writes it.

I would hope most editors would agree.

How can women in sports journalism be better? In the same ways I'd hope male editors would be better:

Work hard; stay in the office and work the desk when the shit hits the fan instead of getting to the first tee 30 minutes early; treat the staffers fairly; don't rely too heavily on a few writers while allowing others to do nothing for days at a time save for collecting the check; etc.

It's not an exhaustive list but it is a list that applies to all editors, be they male, female or from Mars.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

And to be clear, 21, we can't check both?

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I thought this was an awful thread when it began.
    I'm a changed man. I love this thread.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Who am I to judge? 8)

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

The best boss I ever had was a woman. Still great friends with her today, six years after I left.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I just watched the first epiosde of Mad Men, about Madison Avenue in the early 60's.

This thread and that show have a lot in common.

However, in fairness to Write Thinking, he did say "females" instead of you know, "girl reporters".

Draft saved Draft deleted