1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women as funny people.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Mar 5, 2008.

1. See, I can't wait until I reach the age where I can do and say whatever I want and people say don't mind him, he's old!
    Can't. Wait.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think you need to get out more.

You have no idea whether these are funny people...they are actors who performed funny material. Huge difference. Likewise, you're judging 'funny' women or lack thereof by the roles they play.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

First of all, I'm talking about girls in their early 20s, like I wrote in the original post.

Tina Fey is hilarious, but she's in her late 30s (??)

And, no, 21, I'm not tlaking about the roles they play. I'm talking about in interviews and viral video. Not as their roles, but as themselves, just when they're talking.

But yeah, well said.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Women in their 20s.

I know a certain professor who would love me forever for that one.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My grandma has two surgically reconstructed knees, arthritis, a heart condition and she walks like a penguin. I don't doubt your grandma could inflict some pain. My grandma would win the fight however, by nagging your grandma to death. She can be quite cold.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There are plenty of funny women, although they might not fit your age range for the characters:
    Julia Louis Dreyfuss
    Kathleen Madigan
    Anna Faris
    Sara Silverman
    Parker Posey
    That's just a handful of examples. There are plenty of them. Some are comics and some are actresses who can do comedy, not always a matched skill set.
    Common sense tells me there are loads of younger funny women of whom I have not heard because they haven't gotten a big break yet.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't think my grandma knows how to nag. Not only is she funny, but she's a tough, self-deprecating, baseball fan who dispenses insults like it was her full-time job. She gave me a bottomless tin of cookies for Christmas several years ago and fills it whenever I bring it by her house. She gets her news from the late-night shows, but hates Conan O'Brien -- we argue over that quite often. She enjoys Family Guy at times, and she'd give all her savings to bring back the Game Show Network on her cable plan, which she cut two years ago because they axed the program; but it's OK because she still gets all the Yankee games on the radio.

I barely spoke with my parents for for four years, and in that time, my grandma and I spoke about four times a week. And she never told my family what I said about them; she's always had my trust. We talk about family, women, sex, jobs, the future, you name it.

And like Ray Finkle, she's one hell of a model American.

And that's just the beginning.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sarah Silverman and Julia Louis-Dryfuss are the tops on my list for actresses. Julia, especially, is funny as hell in her interviews. She was on SNL before Seinfeld, and there's a reason for it.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

First, your grandma sounds like an awesome lady.

Second, Laces Out DAN!

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

GB,

I don't want to devote too much time to this because I think your theory is half-baked at best. However, I would posit that if a woman were to be as physically attractive as Jonah Hill or Seth Rogen, she would never get a chance to headline a movie like Knocked Up. If a woman were built like Jonah Hill or Seth Rogen, she would not be considered a lead-type of actress. She'd be the funny fat girl, a la Monique.

There is a double standard there, and regardless of how funny a woman is, she'd damn well better be aesthetically pleasing or you'll NEVER hear of her.

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

OK, but no one has given me an example of a single funny girl in her early 20s. The only one who I can come up with is the girl from Superbad who hooks up with Michael Cera. And that's a stretch for me...

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

You definitely make a good point with that...

Draft saved Draft deleted