1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women and the Masters, here we go again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by vivbernstein, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vivbernstein

vivbernstein Member

shockey,

I agree with most everything you said except for "horrific." I save that word for things like earthquakes.

I do think it's a bit more than a molehill given the where and when, and the fact that gender just keeps coming up in sports. I'm sick of it. Enough, already. But no, it's certainly not a mountain.

I just didn't appreciate Rufino's condescending posts.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I saw nothing condescending about the base question Rufino had -- which went unanswered.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

fixed. i was going for sarcasm and failed.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A tradition like no other.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

shockey, you asked if you're cranky this morning. I'll take a stab at it: Yes.

I base that on the first two posts of yours I read today: here, and the one in which it was clear you, and not waterytart, is the one who needed to lighten up, Francis.

So yeah, I'm voting for cranky. Personally, I think everyone needs to step away from this one for some time and get some perspective. I dare say every man on here considering this a molehill would have made it Everest had it happened to him on deadline (and might not have filed his best stuff either under such duress). Just a hunch after 27 years in the business.

Go take a walk, everybody.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Most people would agree it is the former.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the issue here. Of course Tara should be pissed, anyone would be. But it seems to me this thread has turned into a massive case of sexism, which I don't believe it is. I really do think it was mistake, judging by the fact it was a female security guard who really didn't know what the hell she was doing.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i have no problem with this. i'm going to check my meds. ;)

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

but, cranky or not, tara's 'my side' column was terrible.

10. Mediator

Mediator Member

Maybe the security guard didn't let Tara in because she wasn't qualified.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In what way 'terrible'?

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Read Liz's Twitter. if you don't think she's radical on this particular topic, we'll just have to disagree. She's a terrific reporter whose work I admire, but on this she was way around the bend IN ALL CAPS last night.

As someone with a spouse in sports TV (who covered the Masters this week without incident, by the way) I am all for fair access and for combating sexism. I'm also for common sense about what the motives behind an episode are and being reasonable about accepting apologies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.