1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman uncovers what may be the oldest baseball card

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

That's some consecutive quality there ... hilarious.

Amazing how this lady had no idea that it could have been worth something and still managed NOT to sell it for $10.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

... and being a mom, threw it in the trash.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

She doesn't want to say how she got it because she used to be a groupie of that team.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Big fan of Mike Osegueda. I don't read much out of Fresno, but I try to read his stuff. I just like his style of featurey things like that.

Absolutely crazy story. I'm still surprised she's going back to eBay, though I guess if you auction it off in an auction house, you might lose more of a cut.

5. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

All I know is that I hope this Fresno dame makes a nice penny off this and has enough money to buy a nice retirement home across the street in Tahoe.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's a little more than across the street ... it's 15 minutes away!

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I bought an $8 box of old dollhouse furniture last month off ebay for my daughter for Christmas, and at the bottom of the box was a 1900 Indian head penny. It's worth a buck, tops, but it was a blast to find it and daydream the 'what ifs'. For a junk ebayer like this old lady, that baseball card probably just as easily could have ended up at the bottom of someone's box if she hadn't been paying attention.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Sounds like we'll never know, but wouldn't it be great to find out how the card got to her store in Fresno? WAS there a Fresno when that card was printed?

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This story has a photo of the woman holding the card:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Woman-finds-139-year-old-baseball-card-in-box-of?urn=mlb,132871

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Not that familar with eBay, but can you sell something for six figures on there? I guess you'd just set a minimum bid so you don't end up selling it for $25,000 if it's worth $250,000? Wouldn't an auction house like Sotheby's or whatever make more sense?

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So did the first story linked.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

After seeing the picture, I wouldn't have blinked if the headline said "139-year-old woman finds baseball card."

Draft saved Draft deleted