1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman sues police over Miscarriage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/woman-sues-police-over-miscarriage/20070201100209990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Feb. 1) - A woman who miscarried her fetus a day after she was thrown in jail is suing the police department and two arresting officers who ignored her pleas for medical help.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The part where she is suing for wrongful death is going to open a large can of legal worms.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Don't see how. A fetus has already been established as a living being in most red states. Kill a pregnant mom and you're charged with two counts of murder.

That officers of the state could be held accountable for the death of a fetus is ironic. Horribly tragic to the extreme, but ironic.

And another irony: Big Brother's got the goods on the pigs.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The officers were atrocious. Geez, follow her to the hospital and give her a ticket there. If she's feeding you a line and doesn't go to the hospital, then you can throw down the spikes to flatten her tires.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So if she win the lawsuit, do the officers get charged with murder/manslaughter?

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

She will win.

And Bat, it's not just red states. California convicted Scott Peterson of two counts of murder for killing his pregnant wife.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So will the officers get charged with something? Manslaughter?

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Possible. I'm no law expert and know nothing about that state's system or precedents.

I think the wrongful death lawsuit will never go to court, though. A settlement will be reached first.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If she was already in the process of miscarrying, I don't understand the wrongful death thing, but I'm not a lawyer.

There will be some sort of internal investigation to determine if charges will be filed I'd imagine. Whether or not charges are filed will have nothing to do with the outcome of the suit.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm not a lawyer, either. I think even if in the process of miscarrying, she can pretty persuasively argue about the denial of medical care.

Again, I'm no JDV, and don't have all the 'facts' so to speak, but my gut feeling is she'll get a fat check.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh, I do too. I just wonder about the wrongful death thing.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

What, so you're not JDV?

jk :D

Draft saved Draft deleted