1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman refuses Disney head scarf alternative

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 23, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Read my quote Dave. I didn't call it he "Ground Zero" Mosque.

I adhered to the AP standards and called it the NYC Mosque.

Go back and read the thread about the Mosque. I'm not opposed to it.

But the politics and facts of the Mosque aside, this looks like a response to it, designed to generate sympathy.

And you didn't answer why the AP would run the same story five days later with less information than the they had in their first crack at it.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

And neither is Disney a GOP bogeyman, so fishguydave is going to have a hard time with this one. Maybe there's some gotcha journalism involved, though.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I worked for Disney in college. Somewhere there's a photo of me in lederhosen, working the Matterhorn.

The Disney look is laid out painstakingly in a book when you hire in. It's been adapted since I was there, I'm sure but the basics: for guys, hair above the ear, no facial fair, very little jewelry. For women, relatively little makeup, little jewelry. You only wear what is part of your "costume," and it is given to you daily.

There is absolutely no way she thought the hijab was going to be acceptable to her supervisors on any level, and it was a fairly significant concession from Disney to allow her to wear it even in a "backstage" area. Backstage employees have the same requirements as anyone.

That's not to say it's legal for the park to do this, and she may well have a legal case based on the religious nature of the hijab. But there is certainly no way she thought she would wear it without triggering a fight.

4. YankeeFan

Damn it!

I saw your post & didn't realize my mistake at first.

Your response seemed like a non sequitur, but I was thinking how to answer you.

Then...

I might need to hire an editor.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Whether you called it the "Ground Zero" mosque or not, that's the false meme that's been attached to it. And it's really shameful that AP has followed along with the "mosque" nomenclature.

AP routinely moves a first take of a story with just a few paragraphs. It's often updated later. Let's wait to see if this one is updated before we jump to conclusions. Deal? :)

6. YankeeFan

You're not following along.

The AP put out a directive to refer to the Mosque as the NYC Mosque or the Mosque located near Ground Zero. They specifically said not to refer to it as the "Ground Zero Mosque."

Which is fine, but it's what everyone else is calling it. Either way, they're not following along with the Mosque nomenclature.

And I understand that the AP often updates stories. That's why I'm confused as to why the article the original poster linked to has less information than articles the AP ran days ago.

Why is this one more sympathetic to the woman while leaving out information about Disney's efforts to accommodate her?

7. sportsguydave

I'm following along just fine, YF. But thanks for your concern. :)

As I thought I made clear, my issue is with the "mosque" terminology in the first place.

The story posted earlier is probably a "first lead-writethru." It's SOP for the AP.

As for it being "more sympathetic to the woman" that's your own interpretation, don't you think?

8. YankeeFan

Dave, the story linked is 5 days after their original article. It's not a first lead-writethru".

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Hey dave: no response to the "Disney Look" information posted by two people in this thread? Was it not what you expected (or perhaps, hoped)?

In any event: knowing what I know about Unions and Disney, I would guess the Union is likely very happy right now to have this employee as a very public symbol of just how "mean" Disney is.

10. intolerance is intolerance regardless

11. sportsguydave

Actually, I'm at work and haven't seen every post. When I get off tonight, I'll take a more in-depth look at the thread and those responses.

Fair enough?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Not getting to do whatever you want regardless of the situation does not equate to intolerance. That's just stupid. Having said that, I'm perfectly happy with intolerance of stupidity.

Draft saved Draft deleted