1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman refuses Disney head scarf alternative

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've seen Peel and Metro cops in turbans, not even an issue anymore.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, in Peel, there are probably more turbans than anything else. :)

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Damn people standing up for their rights. What's this country coming to? ::)

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indeed, that's community-based policing.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is the article I was referring to:

I was mistaken in that they did not get back to her about her request as opposed to telling her no outright.

But instead of asking again, she just showed up in it.

Her reaction, as reported here, makes her less sympathetic in my opinion.

You can argue about whether Disney should have such a rule, but they do. And she knew it.

6. YankeeFan

Also, the AP had this story on the 18th. It included the fact that she appeared outside the resort's Grand Californian Hotel after filing a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

It also included this:

So, why are they running the same story five days later with not only no new reporting, but in fact less information than the original article?

Did they not get the reaction they desired on the first go around?

This all sounds like a reaction to the NYC Mosque, and the media is playing right along.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honestly - just have her walk around outside It's a Small World....or give her the month to go and hang at EPCOT.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

You mean that thing that:

A. Isn't a mosque; and
    B. Isn't at Ground Zero?

And I'd really like to know what the "Disney Look" is. I've got my suspicions, but it would be nice to hear it from someone at Disney.

Look at the headscarf she's wearing in the photo that goes along with the story. What's the problem with it ... other than the fact that it identifies her as one of "those people?"

And actually, YF, the media is playing along with the fear-mongering and ugly, mindless Muslim-bashing that has reared its ugly head lately. It's nice to see a little balance.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You don't have a right to do whatever the fuck you please regardless of what your employer says. Rules? What rules? Fuck them! Next time you go into the office, wear a fucking nose ring and see how that goes over. (stupid smiley face).

10. YankeeFan

She'd been there two and a half years.

Disney offered to design something that would meat their standards, let her work in the back of the house, or let her go home.

It doesn't even appear to me that they were going to fire her, just that they'd send her home for the day without pay if she wouldn't/couldn't comply.

Thow in CAIR and Unite Here, which is a radical union, and in a "bitter fight" with Disneyland according to this article and you've got all of the appearances of a contrived situation.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Disney is a private company, with a certain image it wishes to project. A certain range of standard looks among its employees is part of that image.

They distribute a little handbook called "The Disney Look" at the time a person is hired. It has illustrations of everything that is and isn't acceptable for on-stage positions at their parks and properties. Nothing is left open for questioning. What colors you are allowed to dye your hair, what amount of makeup or facial hair is appropriate, how much jewelry you can wear and on which fingers, etc. Any type of headgear, unless it's part of a particular costume, isn't allowed.

In this particular case, the person in question was offered a backstage position for the duration of Ramadan, so she could wear her hijab. She refused.

This is not a situation that snuck up on her. They are not singling her out. Rather, they are treating her like every other employee/cast member they have.

So, politicsguydave ( ;) :D) . . . what exactly are your suspicions?

Disney parks and properties are not exactly chock full of a bunch of caucasian employees, if that is your implication. If it is not, then I stand corrected.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm curious. Can she eat meet?

Draft saved Draft deleted