1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman, 91, Living With (Dead) Husband And Sister

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

So why stick with it?
    It's one thing to disagree with specific actions of the church - the handling of pedophilia/sex scandals, profiteering, silence during the Holocaust. Those are specific actions of specific people within the church hierarchy. They are issues of people and action/inaction rather than issues of faith.
    But doctrines of faith - abortion, burial of remains/resurrection of the body, same-sex marriage - are very different issues. When a person disagrees with those things, he/she is disagreeing with the religion rather than the church.

On the other hand, doctrines of faith evolve. Cremation is a great example. Once it was completely banned because of the doctrine of resurrection of the body. Now that has been mitigated. Cremation is allowed, although final disposition of the ashes is specified (no scattering) and no Mass of Christian Burial can be conducted in the presence of the ashes.
    So there is change with doctrines of faith, albeit slow change.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There's that, too.
    Out of all of the dogma and doctrines with which one might disagree, this is kind of a big one for that reason.
    You are disobeying a doctrine of faith - sinning - and doing it in a way that makes repentence impossible.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've read the Bible. Jesus never said anything about cremation, same-sex marriage, married or female clergy, or many other things.

All that stuff was added afterward by very very fallible men.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, the Bible was written, edited and copied by faillble men.
    I was just curious. I didn't mean to come off as argumentative.
    I apologize.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've requested that my family hook me up to a machine at great expense and emotional burden to themselves, for eternity.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I've a kookie idea that I've told my sister about. And, although she thinks I'm not serious, I'm dead serious (HA!). The day the heart stops ticking, I want them to load up my carcass in a small plane, head north and when they get to a proper distance from civilization, push me out. As morbid as it sounds, I think I'd like to know that I'm feeding the wildlife in some remote, cold place. Wolves, polar bears - whatever - can survive a cold, cold winter (should it be that time of year) a little easier with a nice side of Killick to snack on. Hell, I'll be gone. I won't feel a thing.

~~~~The ciiiiiiiiiircle of liiiiiiiiiiife!~~~~~

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

A friend of my mom's had a pig farm. She wanted to have a fatal heart attack while feeding her pigs and then have them eat her.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I've already told Bubbler that if I die in his town, he's free to eat me.

9. shit, death is one of those inevitables. There's no point in being afraid of it.
    When you reach a certain age, you become sanguine about it and there's a real a peace that comes with acceptance of it. That's not to mean you sit around waiting to die, but you make your preparations - to comfort the survivors - and get one with living
    as for me, light a match, spread the ashes to the wind, and raise a glass to me every once in a while

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

After I die, I've specifically instructed that my corpse shall be gutted out and made into an animatronic version of myself, which will then be able to do things like play the banjo in the band at Chuck E. Cheese's, be a stunt cock in the Hall of Presidents at Disneyland...shit like that...

Draft saved Draft deleted