1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woah, Momma. Cuban facing insider trading charge.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sabrefan, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Re: Woah, Momma. Cuban nailed for insider trading.

The thing is I even hit the spell check, so I'm at a loss.

But thank you all for the help. My only question now is, upon hearing this information, say he didn't seek it out but someone phone him up and says this is going down, dump your stock. Is he just supposed to sit on his hands and take the hit? I'm all for the open and fair market, but if my scenario is correct (and chances are I am more than likely about as far from the truth as one can get) I'm not sure if I act differently. for something of this level is he looking at Martha Stewart time in a white collar resort prison? or could he face worse?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My first thought when I heard the news. At least it would explain why they said no.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Explain again to me why Cuban is talked about as one of the best owners in all of sports.

I am not trying to start a Texas deathmatch argument, I am just going thru his resume, I don't quite feel the love.

*He bought a down and out franchise, and it turned around into a winner. Check - but a lot of owners have done that in all sports

*He offered thirsty egyptian cotton towels and robes to his players, and personal DVD players to his players. Check

*He got a new arena built - Check - like about every owner

*He's won championships - no

*He has a unique commentary on NBA ref'ing - check

*He blogs - check

What am I missing?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

But thank you all for the help. My only question now is, upon hearing this information, say he didn't seek it out but someone phone him up and says this is going down, dump your stock. Is he just supposed to sit on his hands and take the hit?

Yes.

It is illegal to buy and sell public stocks based on information not disseminated to the public. Can't get any more simple.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would want Cuban as the owner of my favorite team.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A few things are telling. This wasn't a pump and dump of any sort. They are not going after him criminally, and the SEC loves to make examples of high-profile insider-trading cases. There wouldn't be a reasonable criminal case here because he didn't enrich himself with insider info.

At the time he sold the Copernic stock, he acknowledged in interviews that day that it was because of the PIPES transaction. So he has pretty much already admitted he knew it was happening before it was formally announced and in his mind he saw nothing wrong with it. Those transactions dilute a stock's value horribly and he didn't want to sit and hold something having value lopped off of it to raise cash. It isn't like he got wealthy off the transaction. He bought the stock after it had announced surprising earnings a few months before, near its high, and he sold it for about the same amount he bought it.

The thing that made his ability to sell on July 28 (which triggered a lot of other selling when people saw that Mark Cuban was dumping his large stake), unfair compared to a regular investor like you or me, who wouldn't have known about the PIPES transaction until the next day is that as a large shareholder in the company, he was obviously made aware of the financing deal before it was formally announced. It is obviously unfair that he got a leg up on everyone else. But isn't it also unfair to expect someone to hold onto a stock that the company is intentionally diluting in value, when you know what is happening? Cuban wasn't the one manipulating the stock's value.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

When two of your favorite teams are run by Glen Taylor and Carl Pohlad - guys with just as much money as Cuban - you start to appreciate someone like Cuban, someone with at least a shred of passion for his product. It's still annoying watching him jump up and down on the baseline of every Mavs home game like Dancing Barry, but I'm with Mizzou on this one.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Uh, the words "nailed" and "charged" are not interchangeable!

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The planning and funding for the AAC pre-dates Cuban. But I'm sure its pending construction played a factor in Cuban's buying the team.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As Ragu points out, Cuban made the rational move. But it also appears to be textbook illegal.

I'm wondering how this takes 4 years to get to court.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

He's the only billionaire I know of who will personally answer e-mail from ordinary schmucks. Game, set, match.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Ditto. If he can find a way to get the Mariners away from Nintendo, there's an MLB franchise he can have a lot of fun with ... and he'd be right across the street from Drew Carey's MLS Sounders and Paul Allen's Seahawks. Sounds like a win-win for Seattle to me.

Hmm, hey Cuban...!

Draft saved Draft deleted