1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA Finals fever - catch it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 14, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My local team, the Mystics, is the only one in WNBA history to never reach the finals. LOL.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There is essentially no difference between the WNBA and your girls high school basketball team.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The first two games were fun to watch and the WNBA is ahead of other leagues with their reseeding in the playoffs, which allowed the two best teams to meet in the Finals. (I understand no one else cares so I'll just be over here alone with my Whalen Hutchinson High School throwback).

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

So for as long as they've existed they've been fitting right in in DC.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Right. Which is great for me, because one of my favorite pastimes is laughing at Washington teams losing.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Totally understood that's a ha-ha exaggeration, and that's OK.

But let's be clear that plenty of star college players come to the WNBA and struggle. For women's basketball, it IS the pro level.

That said, I don't want one of the free tickets either.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Texting more with my friend, his wife said they offered her 40 tickets.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think the NBA is looking at this as a test model for scrapping the current format and going to full-on, no-conference seeding soon.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, it's best-of-five (the teams split the first two games in Minnesota this week). Game 2 at Target Center drew about 12K. Don't know how much papering was done to get to that, but it's not nothing.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Tonight's game is 6:00 pm at the Galen Center (Staples Center has an NHL game).

Safe to say there won't be 12,000 at tip off.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

And one of the Sparks games in the last round was at Long Beach State because there was a Kings preseason game at Staples.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They're better off playing at the smaller venues. Same approach MLS takes in getting out of big football stadiums.

Draft saved Draft deleted