1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wlat to Southern Cal?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jan 23, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Forgive my ignorance, but can someone please explain the whole 'Wlat' thing. I'm sure it's insanely humorous.. I just want to be in on the joke.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Just did a search and couldn't find the thread. Also can't remember who started it here. Basically, some guy on one of the Pittsburgh boards always called the guy Wlat for some reason. And it took off to the point that there were eventually people at Heinz Field screaming for "Wlat's" firing.

And, yes, it was funnier when the person telling the story wasn't me.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Walt Harris and Pete Carroll do have Pacific ties. I don't think Carroll played for Harris at Pacific, but did go to school there.

My best memory of Harris is the years he had the trio of Troy Kopp, Ryan Benjamin and Darryl Hobbs and was beating Cal State Fullerton teams in the early 90s .... OK, the Titans couldn't beat anyone in those last fateful years, but Harris' teams were fun to watch.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/938643/

Here it is, courtest BYM2

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wlat upon hearing the good news.
    [​IMG]

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And yeah, I kinda assumed that either Carroll or Gruden might bail his sorry, quick-kicking ass out. Carroll actually was a Pitt football groupie practically in 2000 as he took notes and prepared for the jump back into the college game. And Gruden has been quoted as saying that he's learned more from Wlat than any other coach he's worked with, which kinda scares the shit out of me.

Many of us have contended that Wlat's a great coordinator and position coach but just doesnt have the "it" that is needed to really be an upper echelon head coach. Wannstedt's brought in a base defense and vanilla offense and is bringing in his second top 25 class (if it holds). Harris had one of the more entertaining offenses in college football at Pitt and constantly belly ached that he couldnt get the players to wanna come there. He's also a lousy game coach and even worse at clock management...though that appeared to have gotten better at Stanford.

Draft saved Draft deleted