1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wizard of Oz Redux by SJ.com ... for IJAG

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Guns or knives, bub?

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Seriously! I truly can't imagine my life without the Wizard of Oz. It's the explainer of life.

3. I keep it against the advent of a quick getaway.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not to mention its visual preservation of historic Broadway-level performers. Bert Lahr couldn't
    get himself arrested in Hollywood, other than WOO -- and he was a beloved Main Stem
    talent for decades. And comparing Bolger and Astaire as dancers is matching apples and
    oranges, but the Scarecrow was a remarkable talent. Also see the movie The Ziegfeld
    Follies for additional evidence of same.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Back to this: I've seen it three times in different cities, loved it. A very clever story, and tremendous entertainment if you have a good cast. A very clever interpretation of what might have happened beyond the original story.

6. I've only read the book. Mystery Meat, I wouldn't call it a prequel. The witches' background is in there, sure, but interpretation or re-interpretation might be more accurate.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but this movie is absolute shit of the highest order. Much like Mary Poppins, people who like this film only like it because it holds some special place in their hearts and reminds them when they were kids.

I hated this film when I was seven. I hated it when I was 13. I hate it now and will hate it for the rest of my life.

I'm not saying that it didn't do a lot to advance the technology of movies and I'm not saying it's not an historic film. I'm just saying that, as as film, it's a dud.

8. You failed to answer my question, bub.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

My college film professor and I would disagree.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Neither. I prefer nunchucks.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So is this Dark Side of the Moon linkage thing real or just stoner bollocks?

12. Real. At least it was when I was drunk off my ass in college.

Draft saved Draft deleted