1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With Wonder...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, there was plenty of contrivance in the wrapup of the series, but that was more or less out of necessity because as I understand it, they only got notice of cancellation a couple weeks before shooting of (what turned out to be) the final season wrapped up. So they were really only able to write a couple episodes with knowledge things were wrapping up.

The producers planned on the show going another season, so when the plug was pulled a year earlier than that, a lot of loose ends had to be tied up (or chopped off) very abruptly.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes, the last season was originally supposed to be the penultimate season, and I'm pretty sure Winnie and Kevin weren't supposed to reconcile at the end of it.

Obviously, they had to in order to wrap things up. But the defining season for me will always be Season 5, when Winnie barely appeared. That type of writing is why the show failed, ultimately, but it was so true to life. Of course there'd be a year in Kevin's life where Winnie basically didn't matter and he spent all his time driving around with his friends and getting into trouble. That's the real world.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Started from scratch last night on Netflix and made it through half of Season 1, having it play on the Ipad while writing from midnight to 6 a.m. The narration is akin to having an ebook playing in the background.

(Enjoyed every minute of it, too).

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Season 1 is six 24-minute episodes.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Version: just checked, got through 7 episodes, to this point. 107 to go!

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Just finished the entire series.

While you can tell the end game was indeed rushed, it was a terrific show.

They definitely do not make them like that, anymore.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Sure, they do. Maybe not exactly like that, but similar. Parenthood has a very similar feel of family atmosphere, though it's told through the parents' perspective. And The Goldbergs draws on nostalgia similarly and has been compared to The Wonder Years for that aspect.

I love The Wonder Years, but it definitely isn't the only show of its kind. Boy Meets World was a pretty blatant ripoff for two seasons (before becoming entrapped by its love story in a way The Wonder Years refused to be). Freaks and Geeks offered a lot of what made The Wonder Years so special, too.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

V: Good points. Perhaps you're correct. I'd offer a better opinion if I actually watched much of that type of show, anymore. My tastes have definitely changed.

That having been said, The Wonder Years has a special place in this heart of stone.

Draft saved Draft deleted