1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With the standard Goodell's set, how can Harrison NOT be suspended?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GBNF, May 3, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If Harrison is absolved of any involvement in the shooting, then Goodell looks unnecessarily Draconian by punishing a guy simply for being implicated in a crime, especially if he is found to not be involved.

That would give the NFLPA some major teeth to sue the NFL and weaken Goodell's authority.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Well assuming Harrison gets charged with something, this scenario would be very similar to the Pacman one.

I agree that this thread is premature, but if he gets charged with anything, wouldn't he have to get 8 games based on precedent? Didn't Tank get 8 games just for having a stash of guns or something?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Only thing is, Pacman was a repeat offender (five arrests and questioned by police 10 times since drafted in April 2005), like Tank Johnson (2005, 2006 arrests) and Chris Henry (five arrests in three years).

The only person who's not a repeat offender that Goodell suspended is Michael Vick, who faced felony charges and plead guilty.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it automatically be a felony? Or are you talking about the gun owner, not the triggerman?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Gun owner, not the triggerman.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Some of you guys have to be trying to be difficult.

Obviously GBNF didn't expect Goodell to suspend Harrison this afternoon. Obviously there's still a lot of police work to be done and court crap to happen. Obviously. I think it could be very interesting to watch Goodell handle what could be a bad situation with Harrison and compare it to how he handled similar situations with more well known trouble makers.

Now if he operates on any kind of "strikes" system, obviously someone like Chris Henry or Pacman Jones came in with a lot more strikes, so it really isn't comparing apples to apples. Still, it's an interesting scenario. It been a lot more fun to watch had it been a real golden boy like Peyton Manning.

If this was Jones or Henry you wouldn't all be posting "well, he'll wait and see what happens" either.

7. No shit, sherlock.

Funny how we tend to give more leeway to a guy who doesn't have a lengthy criminal record.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Well, obviously, their prior history comes into play, as has been noted.

I have a better idea now of what GBNF is driving at, and I'm not offended that he started the thread or anything, but I still don't think Goodell has given any reason to believe he will take this incident less than very seriously, at the point when it's clearer that Harrison has done something wrong.

9. Boobie Miles

All true. Though, and I'm really curious, what exactly did Tank Johnson get suspended for? It seems like his case would be more applicable than Henry's or Pacman's for precedent.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Violating probation from a 2005 weapons charge by owning six unregistered firearms, which meant a 2006 arrest.

11. Boobie Miles

OK, I knew it was something like that, didn't know the specifics. If Harrison actually fired the gun I'd say it's at least as serious as that.

Draft saved Draft deleted