1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With the standard Goodell's set, how can Harrison NOT be suspended?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GBNF, May 3, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

With the precedent set (Pacman, Odell Thurman, etc.), how can Goodell look the other way on this one?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Which Harrison? And what did he do?

3. Maybe he's waiting to learn the facts and not what some radio station reported.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Only one NFL Harrison in the news lately.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/55822/

If it turns out that there is irrefutable truth to all this, Goodell will take appropriate action. We're not dealing with Peter King's boy Tagliabue here.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Marvin.
    Interviewed by police about a shooting near his home.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/sports/football/20080503_ap_coltsstarharrisoninterviewedaboutphillyshooting.html

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, that. I honestly thought Rodney was up to something again. And I agree with what foaf said.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

My bad. I should've made it more clear.
    If, in fact, the facts all line up to Harrison being involved — at least on the surface — then what should Goodell do?
    As I'm hearing, it was his gun, but he didn't shoot it.
    Sounds awfully like the Pacman incident, albeit with a much more respected member of the NFL community and not at a strip club and not involving dollar bills dancing in the air.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08068/863752-100.stm

This was two months ago, but Marvin is not the only Harrison who has faced potential legal troubles this offseason.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why post a ringing demand for action about an incident which remains wholly unclear to all concerned, including the Philly PD? Why jump the gun? What is the point?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True.

I'm sure the commish is very happy this happened in April and not October.

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Not posting any demand, bud.

Didn't say a single word about any timetable. All I said was:

How can he possibly look the other way.

Sorry to have offended you.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Right now, he can look the other way because nothing has happened, other than police interviewing Marvin Harrison.
    Obviously, if Harrison is charged with something, he can't look the other way, and he probably won't.
    I think the reason people took umbrage (he's having a great playoff for the Flyers, isn't he?) at your post, GBNF, is that you seem to be implying that for some reason Goodell IS going to look the other way, and there's no reason to expect that.
    I guess my question is, why bring it up?

Draft saved Draft deleted