1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With the Olympics, I miss the Cold War

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Feb 16, 2010.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Understood. Kind of like basketball down here.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think there's a Cold War fan page on Facebook. Would that help?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For me, it was Katerina Gordeeva. Had a major crush on her. If all the Russians looked like her, we'd be complaining about CAPITILISM! today.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He never would have made the Soviet team

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Except that it's kind of odd that such a premium is put on winning gold . . . when Canada almost never wins.

They are 1-11-2(DNP) since 1956 in the quest for hockey gold.

USA hoops is 10-3-1(DNP) in quest for gold over that same period.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

US basketball has been much more dominant over the rest of the world than Canadian hockey. The Soviets of the 70's and 80's were basically professional hockey players, playing against minor league hockey players. that is what makes what the States did in 1980 so remarkable.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Given that I and a lot of my high school classmates were sure we were going to end up involved in a late-80s Cold War "police action" or WW3 battle in Central America ... fuck that nonsense. I don't miss the Cold War one little bit.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In the Cold War, not even the apparatus was safe from a Russian gymnast (although Ludmilla Tourischeva actually was a normal-sized woman).

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=41689

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Even Team USA holds a 2-1 advantage in that time period.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When I watching the luge the other day, some German fans were flying the East German flag. Hadn't seen it in so long, I did a double-take.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If it weren't for the Cold War, I think that American football would already be a part of the Winter Olympics.

I'm sure that the disadvantages of playing on mountain slopes or the fact that cleats tear the heck out of the ice on the hockey rink would have been worked out.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Given that I'm a Cold War era veteran from that time frame and remember it as some of the most exciting times of my life, God I miss it. There's nothing like going toe to toe with the Soviet navy and making them look like punks.

Draft saved Draft deleted