1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With the AP AWOL, how will you handle the Tiger sex rehab story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 15, 2010.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's not a sports story. It's a celebrity story and has been for a while.

Do something like the UK's Daily Mail did: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1243589/Tiger-Woods-treated-sex-addiction-U-S-clinic-new-reports-claim.html

Note that it's not listed under Sports but rather under TV&Showbiz.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I suppose the original story should have run in the same section as Click&Clack.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's not like writing about these stories is a magic cure for magazines or newspapers. How do I know this? Because every celebrity tabloid, from Star, to People, to In Touch, has had hundreds of total layoffs the last year. National Enquirer's parent company went bankrupt, laid off tons of people. So newspapers' salvation isn't coming from figuring out how Tiger can deal with his apparent addiction to doing just that.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

SoCal,

I'd never heard that before. That's pretty funny.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

So are you saying golf isn't a sport?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

I'm saying Woods getting treated for so-called "sex addiction" isn't a sport, except to the TMZ douchebags.

Put it in the same section that reports on Lohan's foibles.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Except Lindsey Lohan isn't one of the most recognizable SPORTS figures in the world.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

As one example, Fox News posts this alleged story in its web site's entertainment news section.

As another example, the Hattiesburg paper --- where Woods allegedly is in treatment --- posted the story as a news-section brief.

The alleged Jeter engagement doesn't belong in the sports section, either.

9. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

So if Tiger is in rehab and misses the Masters, is it a sports story then?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Only from the standpoint that he's missing the Masters. What's it mean to the Masters? What's it mean to golf?

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

It means the best golfer in the world is missing the most prestigious golf tournament in the world because he is in rehab for sex addiction. How can you write that story but not write the story about how he got there?

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Wow, I grew up in San Diego as a Padre fan and hadn't heard either of those names in years.

Draft saved Draft deleted