1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With Apple Tablet, Print Media Hope for a Payday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If this had Flash, I'd get it. Or a way to get NFL and NHL games.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Two points:
    To be fair, Cablevision never really seemed to view this much as a direct source of revenue, but rather as a churn reducer for its cable subscribers, who can get to the Newsday website for free.

And:
    According to multiple online tools, the general estimate is that Newday has lost 50% of its web traffic since putting up the paywall.

We can't determine anything because we don't know how many people are/were logging on through being a cable subscriber.

This seems like a shock story to say "ha ha! just 35 paid users!"

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't think too many people are keeping Cablevision to get free access to Newsday.com. While the 35 paid users isn't the whole story, it does say a lot about Newsday.com's appeal. You would think more than 35 former residents would sign up to get hometown news.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

There's a story out today about how it is now the butt of feminine hygiene jokes.

Lovely.

Good going, Apple.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

'Can you swim with it?'

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/27/apple.ipad.reaction/

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

So I Googled to see some of these jokes that are supposedly running rampant on the internet...

A sampling:

Later in the year they will be releasing the companion tablet pen, the Ipon.

Hopefully it will help people deal with the 24-hour news cycle.

Are you there, God? It's me, Marketing.

Pets will love it...especially dogs.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I thought Jason Calacanis' Twitter stunt was funny. A lot of "tech journalists" picked up on his posts listing the features. It highlighted how poor of a reporting job tech journalists do, including the WSJ.

By the way, is anyone going to buy an iPad?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/94697/msi-ready-launch-ipad-alternative

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd rather have an iPad that had Flash than this.

Draft saved Draft deleted