1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wishing the best to Murray Chass

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, Apr 19, 2008.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Murray underwent triple bypass surgery Thursday and is doing well, I'm told. I don't care about the rest of you but I wish him the best.

And, by the way, screw the NY Times. They were taking away Murray's Sunday baseball notes column so he has told them he'll be taking the buyout. After 30+ years, there will be no more Chass in The Times and that will be their loss.

I am sure Murray will surface again somewhere, probably a dot.com that wants one of the more knowledgeable baseball reporters it has ever been my privelege to know.

Dan Castellano

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

All the best to Murray, who has had some tough health battles in recent years.
    An absolutely great reporter and good guy.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

ditto what dan and spnited said. 8) 8) 8)

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

His Sunday column was a must-read for me. Sorry to see it is gone.

Hope he recovers well.

5. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Get well soon, Murray.

6. Nobody covered the business end of it better than Murray did.
    I hope he's well.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

His speech at the HOF a couple years ago was a must-listen.

Of course, the people it was aimed at--the bean-counters--would never pay attention.

Hope he gets well soon and returns to writing.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

We are honored to have the voice of Homer Simpson post here.

In all seriousness, Chass is excellent. Best wishes for his health, and a lament for the loss of his words in the Times.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Enjoy your freedom, Murray.

Now . . . if the New York Times nudging Murray Chass out the door by stripping him of something he excelled at and loved doesn't make it clear that this is a dogmeat business when it comes to honoring experience and offering career role models for the youngest among us, I don't know what will.

I know a lot of sportswriters who loved -- and love -- what we do for a living while they're in their 20s, 30s and even 40s. But I have seen way too many talented people in their 40s, 50s and 60s get treated like dirt.

This isn't a job where you earn enough money by age 45 to beat the bosses to the punch, either. That won't happen -- they'll cut into your role, your profile, your dignity and your patience just because they can and because they have someone else they want to fill your shoes and take (at a lower number) your salary slot. Or, these days, they just want to pocket your salary for themselves and their partners.

I know that last graf seems really bitter, but I'm telling you, I don't think more than 15 percent of writers get OUT on their own terms. That is something for those in their 20s and 30s to factor in, as they weigh the pros and cons of staying vs. bailing. Somebody on the way up is going to be something close to "the next Murray Chass" and that guy probably will get screwed at the end, too, once he has been around for enough annual raises.

But Murray can laugh from afar now at the Times' financial, journalistic and political woes.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Adding my best wishes as well.

Casty, don't be a stranger, eh? This place isn't all bad all the time.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Murray not only did great work, he pioneered covering the business side of baseball at a time when that became hugely important. He's the epitome of what a Spink award winner should be.

While papers seem anxious to squeeze out old hands, I mistakenly thought the Times was better than that.

All good wishes to Murray in his latest medical travails.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And you almost have to wonder if one of the other New York papers snaps him up, or he takes his journalistic skills to another outlet.

Hey, NYT's loss could be someone's big gain. Wishful thinking, I know, but could happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted