1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wisdom teeth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had them taken out at 8 a.m. and played in a baseball game at 4 p.m.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I didn't get knocked out or take gas but that was just my own thing; I'd rather be awake and know what's going on, because I grew up with a kook dentist. I had all four of mine yanked at once. Drove myself home. Played in my 3-on-3 intramural league at school that night. Mine went about as well as possible. No lingering pain, no dry sockets. I did have gauze in my mouth while playing hoops and it was filled with blood, which was a little gross.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. I would take the gas, that way you don't have to worry whether it will be painful or worrisome or not during the proceedure. And I don't remember pain being all that much of an issue after the surgery. I do, however, remember not being able to stop the bleeding. I read something somewhere that said you should put a teabag int he back corners of your mouth and the acid from th eteambag should stop the bleeding. If you remember nothing about what is being told to you, remember this. DO. NOT. TRY. THIS.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I was told that, in my case, I should have little to no swelling, and that I shouldn't experience too much pain; some the first day, maybe a tad the second, but that's it.

60-40 for the N20.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I did neither the gas or knocked out when I got one of mine out 3 years ago.

My tooth was not impacted so my dentist said that they could do it in the office in the chair with regular freezing, hey sounds good!

They froze me up and then started to have issues getting the damn thing out. It turns out the root was really long. They had to crack the tooth in 2 and wriggle the pieces out. Basically using plkiers to work it free. I felt no pain but it was discomforting.

After they were done he offerred to show it to me which I declined as I am a squeamish bitch with that sort of thing. The dentist said that they won't do any more of mine that way, will need to be knocked out.

No pain after, went to work later in the afternoon with a mouth of gauze to soak up the blood.

FWIW I have heard that they tend to be more gentle when the patient is awake, don't know if this is true or not.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Got my wisdom teeth out. They were in fine condition, but I only had ones on the top. It was annoying to have because I'd chew food down into my gums on the bottom and cut them. Anyway, it was as easy as could be. Just have Novocaine. There was no reason for anything else. As pleasant and experience as it probably could have been.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Interesting. My dentist did, in fact, mention the roots of the teeth that will be coming out. Pretty sure he said they weren't very long at all, which is why he thinks it'll be an easy procedure.

65-35 N20.

9. bwright

bwright Member

I got knocked out. If I had to do it again, that is exactly what I'd do.

Mine hurt like the dickens for two days. Either some of you didn't have the same procedure I did, or that doctor in Oxford just really sucks at his job.

I think I ate a box of instant grits that day.

10. Hmm, not sure which is more unpleasant . . . the thought of getting my wisdom teeth out, or the thought of eating instant grits. :)

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

My dentist showed me mine - thanks! - and then asked if he could send them to his son, who he claimed was in dental school.

12. I had mine done at different times. My bottom ones hadn't even broke through yet and I got knocked out. Boy, I'm glad I was. I was in massive pain afterwards. I looked like a chipmunk. I couldn't eat for three days. When the uppers were done, also had an infected tooth pulled at the same time. I wanted to be put under but the dentist had a policy that he have 2 assistants in the room with him. One went home already and I had to take the laughing gas. I completely freaked when he pulled them. Never again with the gas. Just knock my ass out, thank you very much.

Draft saved Draft deleted