1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wisdom teeth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jul 9, 2009.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Note - Chef's opinion here is not welcome.

As for me, I can feel the valium working already. Two pills already gone, another in 21 minutes. And I'm as scared as I've ever been as my wisdom teeth are about to be pulled.

I hate going to the dentist as it is. But this is the day i've been dreading for months.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's a piece of cake......from what I've heard. :)

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

About 25 years ago I tried to have my wisdom teeth pulled by my regular dentist, who got about halfway through before telling me that one of the roots was wrapped around a nerve and he thought it would be best if an oral surgeon completed the job. So he packed up my mouth and had me drive to an oral surgeon about 15 miles away to finish the work. Hope this makes you feel better. Enjoy the valium!

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had to have all mine done by an oral surgeon. It hurts like hell for the first two days. Then it all faded. And you'll have all kinds of painkillers.

I lost feeling in the left side of my jaw down into my chin for about six weeks after the procedure. That was weird. It all returned at some point last week.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I had all four removed on a Thursday when I was 17, which was a helluva long time ago.

Two days later, with mouth full of cotton, I played a few minutes in a high school basketball game - despite telling my parents I was only going to dress out and ride the pine.

I don't remember it being an overall terrible experience.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dentists frighten me. I take good care of my teeth, but a month ago I went to a dentist for the first time in at least 20 years. Don't ask way. They were fascinated by me and amazed at how good shape my mouth was in. Even the cleaning wasn't that intense. After the X-Rays, though, the dentist comes in and tells me I have to see an oral surgeon and get my wisdom teeth pulled. He says he won't touch them, because they can potentially complicate. What cranberry described.

I am 40. So I said, "My wisdom teeth have been in there sideways and half sticking out for as long as I can remember. Since I was 17 or 18. They have never given me any problem. Why on earth would I pull them now?"

He didn't really have a great answer. He said they are in sideways and COULD give me a problem if they start pushing the teeth next to them.
    I said, "Yeah, but they haven't in all this time; why fix what ain't broke, especially with the potential complications he described if I have them pulled?" he said, he has all his wisdom teeth in and they are sideways. ... but then again he sees a dentist every 6 months and makes sure everything is OK.

I am still not getting them pulled. Not unless they start to hurt me. I basically gave him a look like he was insane.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Everybody's experience with wisdom teeth is different. I had mine taken out in the morning. I took one of the pain pills they gave me and by 6 pm that night I was contemplating playing some pick-up basketball because I felt fine.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Had all four of mine pulled back in high school. Stayed home for two days and lived on nothing but milkshakes. Your mouth will hate you for a few days, but the real pain is only on that first day. Then you'll be cool.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

You got a purty mouth!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I had one pulled when I was 21 (the others weren't fully in yet) and have been told by the dentist it's time for the others to come out. One is so impacted and turned around so much, my dentist said it's going to be a nightmare to remove, even by a good oral surgeon. After hearing that, I am in no rush to get them out.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'm back. My mouth is so numb and I'm stoned to the bejeebers from the valium and pain killer I took. geezus, I feel like I just smoked a nice phat joint.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And this just turned into the "Ask stoned kingcreole" thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted