1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wireless Internet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by the_rookie, Jul 23, 2006.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

Is it good for my laptop?
    Although it can be slower than a connection (dial-up, high speed, etc...), will effect the computer's capacity/space/hard drive?

Any help from you "tech nerds" would be sweet.

Yoshi.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I hear they have the Internet(s) on computers now.

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I asked Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens and this is what he had to say:

"I just the other day got, an internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday and I just got it yesterday.

…the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck.

It's a series of tubes.

And if you don't understand those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and its going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material."

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Wireless is a method of connecting to the Internet -- just like a modem or ethernet cable. It just means that you are doing it without cables -- 'wireless.'

The connection is only as fast as where the connection originates. In my case, I have a wireless router set-up, which allows me to connect via a wireless card to my cable Internet connection. I have high-speed cable Internet, so when I connect on my laptop, I have high-speed Internet on my laptop.

The only effect on your hard drive would be the software and drivers to run your wireless card.

Here is a page which explains it in more detail:

http://www.broadbandinfo.com/intern...et-connections/wireless/how-does-it-work.html

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wireless on my laptop provides the same connection speed as any other method of connection -- mainly because my old laptop is a piece of crap and the memory, just 80MB, makes it hard to do anything (even type a Word doc) lightning fast.

Wireless only is as "bad" for your laptop as you allow it to be. If you're gonna use the laptop frequently, make sure you do the same things you'd do for your desktop (regularly defrag and run scandisk, get all the spyware and anti-virus software, etc.). I even hear that Macs now are more vulnerable to viruses since people are making viruses for Macs -- I don't know if this is an offshoot of the iPod craze and people using more Mac products, but that'd be my guess.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

You should be running anti-virus, anti-spyware and other maintenance on your laptop (and desktop!) on a regular basis regardless of how often you connect to the Internet. [/preaching rosie]

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Darlin, you need to be available tomorrow afternoon, once Charter leaves the hookup and I install my wireless network,,,

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'll be around, I'm working at home tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted