1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wired: Can an Algorithm Write a Better News Story Than a Human Reporter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by derwood, Apr 25, 2012.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/04/can-an-algorithm-write-a-better-news-story-than-a-human-reporter/

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

OK, but how will the computer handle the calls from parents complaining that you cover the other team more than you cover them, that you don't mention their kid often enough when you do cover us, and how we're costing them a scholarship by doing that? :)

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Dear God, if a human writer here ever wrote "day at the dish" in a story, I would hope the sports editor would slap them.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You only get an algorithm coding virus when our team loses!

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

press 1 if we cost your son/daughter a scholarship

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

[quote author=Wired]And the articles don’t read like robots wrote them:

Friona fell 10-8 to Boys Ranch in five innings on Monday at Friona despite racking up seven hits and eight runs. Friona was led by a flawless day at the dish by Hunter Sundre, who went 2-2 against Boys Ranch pitching. Sundre singled in the third inning and tripled in the fourth inning … Friona piled up the steals, swiping eight bags in all …[/quote]

Maybe not, but a horrible writer that Bleacher Report wouldn't hire.

I'd change "fell" to "lost", remove "on," take out "eight runs," remove "at the dish" (as others have talked about), take out "against Boys Ranch pitching" and remove the "piled up steals, swiping eight bags" with something not repetitive or something that provides more clarity such as "took advantage of not being held at first and stole eight bases."

I'm sure many editors on here could do much better than I did with the editing than I did. So, no, algorithms can't write a better news story than a human. Yet, anyway.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hasn't this story been written once a year for the last 15 years?

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Yes. There's a robot doing it, now.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This operation, which is owned by United Communications that also owns a few newspapers, doesn't think reporters are needed.

http://www.communitysportsdesk.com

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

"with a big greasy side of win"

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Statsheet.com has been doing this for years.

Here's the Super Bowl gamer ...

http://gmenreport.com/new-york-giants/game-recap/giants-beat-patriots-21-17-win-super-bowl-super-bowl-xlvi

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You see "stories" like these pop up on Maxpreps every now and then. They make for great laughs: "Fans of Podunk Christian were highly entertained by the home team's 3-0 win over Shelbyville Christian in a league volleyball match." Uh, 3-0. Three points and everyone goes home?

Draft saved Draft deleted