1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wipeout

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Is anyone else watching this? Generally, I frown on this cheap kind of programming, but - God help me - I love this show. From the bone-rattling wipeouts, to the fucking weird people they find to compete (tonight, there's a guy with a blue soul patch and a Transylvanian dude who works at a blood bank), to the friggin' hilarious commentary by former Talk Soup guy John Henson... this is definitely a guilty pleasure.

Never before have I taken such utter joy at saying "Big Balls."

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Watched every episode last season. Haven't watched a single one this season, unfortunately. Timing has been bad, plus I forget about it a lot. Definitely a funny show.

I'd watch it now, but the wife and I are watching that new TNT show Hawthorne. Not bad. Love me some Jada Pinkett. Ever since her Jason's Lyric days. Mmmmm.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm ashamed, but it's hilarious. I can't even imagine the waivers those contestants have to sign.

Anybody see Keyshawn Johnson on there Sunday? Talk about mailing it in ...

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Ninja Warrior is better... Much better
    May not be the clowning that Wipeout is, but there's serious competition on that and the fail is 10x better.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I can't get enough of it. It's literally just an hour of watching people fall down, but it appeals to the same part of my brain that likes the Three Stooges.

Plus it doesn't hurt that the girl who interviews the people is mind-bendingly hot.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Falling down is one of the three pillars of comedy, along with passing gas and nutshots. They were funny the first time a Neanderthal asked his cavemate to pull his finger, and they'll be funny when an astronaut jokes about adding a few more ounces of methane to Neptune's atmosphere.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's nice to see a reality show where people are just having fun and the announcers aren't acting like they're curing cancer or delving deep into the human condition (see John Saunders, The Superstars).
    I've wondered if the two Johns are actually on site when they do their bit - it's hard to tell (plus it would give them more time to come up with witty quips).
    Also, it's a show best taped or DVR'd for slo-mo. The Japanese Game Show thing that airs after is also pretty funnny, but I speed through the non-game show bits.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I still prefer MXC, but Wipeout is definitely on my Tivo list. Just love watching people fall in mud and get punched in the face.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I think the banter is added in after the fact. I don't think they're calling it live. It's edited down pretty tight as it is, so I doubt they're cutting and not adding the commentary after the finished product.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

That's Jill Wagner, from the Mercury commercials. Your description is right on!!

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Bad day to be a kitten.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I absolutely love this show. Just laugh my ass off at people getting hurt and thrown around for an hour. Perfect summer programming. And Jill Wagner of course.

My wife said she needs a no touching clause in her contract from all the freaks she has to talk to.

Draft saved Draft deleted