1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winter Classic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Det. Jimmy McNulty, Jan 1, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I was thinking Kings-Ducks on the 101. Play stops when someone yells "car!"

But is there a way you can (for want of a better term) deep-freeze the ice and have the Sharks host a game at Stanford Stadium or Candlestick?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If the Avs do play in a Winter Classic they need to wear these uniforms

[​IMG]

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Play it at AT&T Park.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Hell yes!

5. You guys are all overlooking the inherent paradox of the Winter Classic. The NHL would endure another work stoppage before New York puts a game anywhere other than east of the Mississippi River or a with a team not from east of the Mississippi. Hell, I'm still surprised Buffalo was ever included in the inaugural Winter Classic. New York is deathly afraid of a ratings hit by including Canadian teams, West Coast teams or Sun Belt teams. So there's basically only 8-10 teams to rotate amongst for the Winter Classic (Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington, NY Rangers, NY Devils, NY Islanders, Boston, Philly, Buffalo). Montreal and Toronto sound like obvious participants, but there's that pesky Upper Mexican bias amongst casual US fans. Plus the NHL is doing the Heritage Classic for Canada again this season. Minnesota makes sound sense, but the Wild a historically mediocre franchise and no one really cares about Minnesota other than Minnesotans.

Despite the contradiction to the above, I think that if the Winter Classic sticks around long enough and they get an NFL stadium built in LA, they'll do a game there.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It was also said that the NHL prefers football stadiums for sight line purposes. What about Kings-Avs at Invesco?

(I'd love to see the Wings, but I just don't see it happening.)

7. I see Wings-Avs before Kings-Avs.

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

As long as Yankee Stadium is contractually obligated to host the Pinstripe Bowl, it's an impossibility. The NHL requires at least two weeks to get the rink set up.

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

As good as the NHL's refrigeration equipment is, I don't think it would hold up for an outdoor game in 70 degree temperatures.

I do agree though with your point about the NHL worrying about ratings. While hockey may be Canada's sport, the NHL is an American-based league where most of the revenue comes from US advertisers. And it doesn't matter if 90% of the possible audience in Toronto or Montreal watches - it counts for zilch in U.S. TV ratings, which is what determines advertising prices.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Let's be honest: Minus snow, this is the shits on TV.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hey Milbury ... do the Caps need to still go "to school" on defensive hockey? Fucking asshat.

12. Milbury can fucking blow me. They were shitting all over Ovie and the Caps all night long. Fuck you, Milbury. You are the Matt Millen of hockey.

Draft saved Draft deleted