1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Windshield rock chip repair cost?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Dec 2, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I've had a crack in the windshield that's about a foot long for the past three or four years. I haven't done anything about it; I go to a pretty low-key place for my annual inspection sticker, so it's never been a problem.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

No deductible?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nope. Not sure how it all worked.

4. fishwrapper

They won't make you fix it unless they deem it obstruction. There's a definition, somewhere.
    My crack that they made me fix went right through my direct vision. It was a real bitch at sunset. So, I can see the issue. Your runner seems fine.

5. fishwrapper

I'm always afraid to call those bastards. I live in "Stage 4 Zone." It's a fire zone. Stage 5 is a forest, I'm told. It's all bullshit. I live in the middle of a subdivision. I'm afraid with one phone call they'll cancel my ass.

6. If you have glass coverage on your insurance, you'll get it fixed for zero or very little deductible. If not, it's typically around $180-250 to replace the windshield, depending on the car you drive.

I had this happen to me just a few weeks ago. Got a crack from a rock tossed up by a truck ... crack didn't move for weeks until it got really cold. Now it's ran across the windshield all the way to the left and to the right. About four feet long.

Called my insurance company ... didn't have glass coverage. Called my dealership and said it would be like $230 installed for a Ford Escape.

7. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

We just had it done and our insurance paid for it as a preventative. The company came right to Mrs. Unibombers workplace and sealed it up while it sat in the parking lot.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Thank you all for the tips and advice on this topic. Initially I wasn't going to call my insurance company, but thanks to the advice here, I did and learned I'm covered. Won't cost me a thing. Much obliged.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

First time I had this happen, the insurance company reimbursed me for the repair on the theory that it is better for them to pay $60 instead of me paying $100 deductible and them paying the rest (more than $100) for the whole windshield if the crack runs.
    Then it happened to my wife's car and the insurance company said they don't do that anymore, it had become too unwieldy with so many people filing those claims. That was from AAA insurance.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Great! Home or car insurance?

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Auto. Farmers claims department (or whatever subsidiary company I talked to) made it pretty simple. Mobile repair coming by on Thursday.

12. T2

T2 Member

I once had a windshield crack that was a few inches long, until on a sunny summer day I made the mistake of taking my car to a drive-through car wash. When the cold water hit the hot glass, I watched the crack grow by more than a foot in three seconds. Time to replace the windshield.

Draft saved Draft deleted