1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Windows XP Service Pack 2 question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Oct 3, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's why I said to run Windows Update -- to fix the fixes...

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How hard is it to backup your system? And how do you do it?

3. ARD

ARD Member

Updated my five PCs to SP2 within two weeks after it came out. Zero problems. I encounter many, many more problems caused by anti-virus and similar "protection" software than from Windows itself. I use Acronis to back up daily to an external HD anyway, but I don't worry about Windows Update. I'd rather have the latest security patches than fret about it.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It should be under System Tools in the Accessories part of your program menu. You will need to do this on CDs or DVDs depending on how much stuff you have.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not under mine... just be sure before you start to create a restore point. If things go wrong, you can (in theory) get a do over...

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

XP Pro has the backup option, XP Home does not.

Preacher Rosie here.....BACK UP YOUR FILES, BACK UP YOUR FILES, BACK UP YOUR FILES!!!!!

I don't care if you are Mac or PC, BACK UP YOUR FILES!

I have my laptop networked to my desktop computer, so I back up files from my laptop to my desktop as my laptop is primarily my work computer. Works slick.

Another way to back up your files is to use the Transfer Files option in XP. Save it to CD. That option also takes less CD space.

As far as SP2, install it. No problem. If you have any specific questions, PM me.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey, thanks for your prompt help... ;)

8. markvid

markvid Guest

PROMPT! GET IT?

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Vista still has issues and I'm not too happy with some of its functionality. I have it running on one of my machines but it has really high minimum requirements so it isn't really suggested for use on many of the machines that were purchased more than a few months ago.

In terms of XP SP2... You should always backup but there is rarely a problem installing these things. Just go to the website and run their updates. It could take a few hours but it is worth the time to keep updating.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Pastor, where can one get a Vista beta?
    I've look on Microsoft's site, but to no avail.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Mine came from MS a month or two ago so I have Beta 2, but you can register to snag a copy of the newer Release Candidate 1 here: www.WindowsVistaEvalReg.com

Check on the minimum requirements, in particular for graphics, because that is where the majority of changes are made.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, here's one more tip for all of you.

If you have installed SP2, DO NOT uninstall it.

This news comes to you after 20 hours and one hard format.

Draft saved Draft deleted