1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Window seat etiquette on flights

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 18, 2019.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Since this was the summer, I can assume she did not see them, right?

You seem to be implying she could see them, in which case, wake the hell up and view a (I believe) impossible feat of nature.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I am also an aisle seat person, and I let my fellow passengers they can ask me to move at any time.

Well ...

I was ... but only on business travel now.

Mrs. jlee is an ardent window person. So now I’m a polite middle seat person on pleasure travel.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry, it was more the sun rising over the Arctic. Constantly.

jlee likes this.
  4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Window seat. I have developed a bad photosensitivity and am prone to migraines, so if I can control bright light in my immediate vicinity, I do it. Also, it's a good thing I'm 5' nothing and my feet don't even touch the ground in a commercial airliner, because I was once in the middle seat of a middle row on a trans-Atlantic flight.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

As a kid, loved the window seat for the view. And planes weren't usually packed like rush-hour buses back then. Flying was an enjoyable experience and I looked forward to it.

But my claustrophobia got worse and worse the longer I was traveling for work, especially the "tunnel vision" feeling of being in a tube. As long as I could schedule my own travel, I would choose the biggest plane possible with an exit-row aisle seat or close to the front of the plane. I also have an issue with the drink carts, and always get up and disappear into the galley until they finish service.

Then Turner Travel got pissy and required us to book through them. One flight to Indy, they put me in 15B. Great. Except it was a 50-seater, which meant 15 was the last row in a plane where I couldn't stand up straight. I had two hours of panic attacks, especially when we landed and sat on the taxiway because our gate was blocked.

Even with my medication, I can't calm myself down enough to fight that "trapped" feeling. I'd get panicky just driving to the airport. I took the train from New York to Montreal to avoid another Embraer flight. And drove to Watkins Glen so I could do features on Cooperstown, the Bodines and Mike Stefanik rather than experience another tiny plane. I still had to endure the flights to Phoenix, LAX and Las Vegas, but usually that was a wide-body jet.

Still, I've had the unexpected breakdowns and takeoff delays that I can't control. Or worse, they switch equipment and I lose the seat I booked. And that's what triggers my panic attacks.

It has nothing to do with crashing. I know that I'm safe. I just want the damn experience to be as short and trouble-free as possible.

So I haven't been in a plane since 2012 and don't miss it at all. I know I'll probably have to fly at some point but I'd rather drive 3,000 miles where I can get out if my claustrophobia kicks in, instead of battling it for six hours with 250 of my closest acquaintances, all of whom have to stand up and fiddle with their carry-ons before the door even opens.

Azrael likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Bonus question:

What do you wear to fly? And why?

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Aisle seat all day and twice on Sunday.

Justin_Rice likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I rarely wear underwear and when I do, it's usually something unusual.

Sorry, requisite Stripes reference.

I wear a long sleeve shirt (because the plane might be cold), sweatpants for ultimate crotch dexterity, and crocs because my feet always expand and I don't wanna have to pop off my sneakers.

maumann likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Shorts almost always and a loose shirt.

I know @Azrael abhors this kind of plane fashion but comfort > style in the air forevermore.

Although I would wear those blood-red shoes he posted a year or two ago. Those things are sharp.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Funny you asked this.

Last weekend, me and Ms. Ragu were having a typically dumb conversation. We were talking about how we need to book our flight for our Christmas-time trip, and then the conversation went off the rails, and I came up with the idea for me to dress up as a Hasidic Jew and for her to dress up in a full burka, and for us to travel that way. ... make our way through the airport together, go through security together and get on the plane and sit together.

Unfortunately, she wasn't so keen on the idea.

justgladtobehere and maumann like this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Clash think that's a cute idea.

justgladtobehere and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted