1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Window seat etiquette on flights

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Important strategy topic:

I like the new paradigm of, "we don't assign seats; we just assign boarding order," but I think people are wrong when they work hard to get in boarding group A.

With the exception of "the very first row," and "in the exit row," I would offer it's better to board as a mid-B, instead of an early A.

When you're an early A, you have a choice of seats, but not you're row mate. When you're a mid-B, you still have some choice over seat and - more importantly - you have a lot of choice over row mate.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I sit next to Ms. Ragu when we fly (although I think we should try @Webster's each side of the aisle thing), and I will usually let her have the aisle seat. ... or the window seat if that is only available. I'll sit in the middle, which is usually fine for me.

Last time we flew together, she took the middle seat, though. ... and then the worst smelling human you can imagine sat down next to her. You ever see the Peanuts cartoons where the squiggly lines follow Pig-Pen around as visual representations of how bad he smells? Triple the number of squiggles. It was this really extreme, pungent body odor, stronger than anything I have ever experienced (and I have ridden in some NYC cabs that I thought set the standard for this), and it was weird because he didn't look dirty. He just smelled nauseatingly terrible.

It was a 7 hour flight. The cabin was full. It was made worse, if that is possible, by the fact that she's more sensitive to smell (and taste) than anyone I know. I offered to switch seats with her, but she wouldn't let me. I am not sure if it really would have mattered much. I got way too much of a whiff of it from two seats away. She sat there with a sweater over her face to cover her nose the whole flight.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Please.
    To say nothing of the other fat, smelly passengers who can and do brush up against you as they waddle by when you are in the aisle.

4. poindexter

And this is gross, on several levels. Did you take your shoes off to seal the deal?

Bubbler likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No, just my underwear.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I flew Dallas to London this summer in an aisle seat on the left side of the plane. An elderly couple of a small town in Texas were next to me. She was at the window and he was in the middle. It's the middle of the night over Greenland and she decides to open the shade to see the northern lights over the Arctic. Every 30 minutes or so, she's open it to look at the lights - which meant every 30 minutes my sleep was interrupted by it.

For my flight home, I was middle bulkhead on the aisle. It was heaven.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You're OK with SBD?

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If there are kids to your side in your row, you keep it open.

Otherwise, it's your window.

At night, default to open.

9. poindexter

She wanted to see the Northern Lights, for cryin' out loud.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Oh, you were flying over Springfield?

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. poindexter

Aurora Borealis?! At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within your kitchen!?!

Deskgrunt50 and Regan MacNeil like this.
  12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Just flew to LA and got a window seat. I always go aisle, so I can stretch and stand up as soon as the flight stops at the gate. So fucking claustrophobic. Of course, on a flight to LA, filled with gorgeous people, I ended up in a row with the world's only ancient man with a bladder the size of an above-ground pool, and a guy who ate five bananas over the course of the flight. Could only get up once. Hated it.

Aisle seat, FTW.

Draft saved Draft deleted