1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winding down...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Aug 20, 2007.

1. We cover nine football-playing high schools, one D2 college (with good football) and we do a 64-page tab. Couldn't tell you how many ads, but not a lot since you can't seem to sell ads for a football tab in Central Pennsylvania [/sarcasm].
    We do a lot of graphics and featurized kind of things. And the thing holds a lot longer than we ever thought. We run driving directions to road games for all of our teams in the tab and this past spring people were bitching at us that our directions to the one school in the football tab was wrong when they were trying to use the directions to the football stadium to find the baseball field. Well, baseball field is on the other side of town, so football directions wouldn't help, but we still got bitched out for it.

2. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Holy shit. Are you me?

3. jps

jps Active Member

In late on the discussion, but 136. Sorry, man. Runner-up ain't bad, tho.

Edit: Then catch Evil's total ... but, hey, we placed.

4. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Damn you jps. Damn you.

5. jps

jps Active Member

Hey, on one hand I wouldn't mind a smaller section ... but our readers want it and go cover to cover. And, truth be told, it is pretty damn satisfying when it's all done and sitting on your desk -- that is once you can finally bear to look at it.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Hopefully, by Monday, I'll be recharged and ready to go. Very happy to be past the first Friday night of high school football, though.

Whew...

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

It's worth noting that this team, despite being in the second-largest class in the state, had 26 players.

I could have put two players on each page.

It just seemed like a lot of fluff. Maybe that's more of a commentary on my reporting at the time than anything, though.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They just killed my special section, or so it appears. I haven't gotten official word, but it doesn't look go. No ads. Would have been something like 12 pages for five high schools and a college, but now it'll get shuffled into the regular section. I think. Less work for me, but I'm still disappointed.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Meat: That sucks. "No ads..." Grrrrrrrrrr

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hope you're taking notes for this time next year.

11. Ahhhh .... IT'S OVER.

After getting to the office at 11:45 Sunday night and working like crazy to get it done ... then suffering through sending problems for two hours, I ended my 18 hour day with the final page (the cover) going to press. Went home, went to sleep, got up and went and checked it out.

44 broadsheet pages, all color, two covers ... done. 90 hours in seven days, but that's why I love this job.

Will be posting a few pages tomorrow hopefully.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

PB: Well done, sir!

Draft saved Draft deleted