1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winding down...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My only response to that is: They will read it in Texas. We have a 24-page section for about 30 high schools and our readers eat it up.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

People in Texas read? :D

I see your point, though. I guess it depends where you are.

3. 32 pages here... and they scheduled a system upgrade the same weekend I was paginating. That was very convenient.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ours will probably be 48 or 56, including high school and college stuff. We finish it up next weekend. And I can't help but have the feeling that our staff uses it more for reference (for rosters, schedules and such) than most people out in the world will ever read it.
    Johnny Tailback probably looks at his school's write-up, finishes taking a dump in the fieldhouse bathroom, then leaves the tab on the floor for the next person. Makes me feel like kind of a dirty whore, really.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'd like to add to the discussion here, but we still haven't received the pages from Ad yet, so I still have no idea how pages it will be We are shooting for 20. The thing comes out Sunday.

Oh yeah, and I will be chasing down high school coaches for the next couple of days because, apparently, they can't operate a modern telephone.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

We just wrapped our 40-page tabloid-size high school section Sunday (covering 42 schools) ... Advertising was at an all-time low, which meant this formerly 56-page bad boy is slimmer than its 48-page college cousin (which we finished absurdly early, the middle of last week, due to print schedule issues). They publish Friday and Sunday.

Whew. I celebrated with 18 sweat-dripped holes today -- and broke 90 for the first time in ages. My game, with a new kid, sucks the mighty suck.

rb

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

We're doing final edits on ours tonight and tomorrow.

45 schools, 40 pages

Up from 34 pages last year, I think

8. Exact same thing happened to us last year. Moved to a completely new filing system and "upgraded" to Quark 6.5. All this a week or two before I got the pages for the section.

That thing was a ...

9. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

Wow ... we got eight pages for 10 schools. Haven't sold an ad in the two years I've been here, but I hear that there might be a little interest this year.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

We're down 24 from 28, for 30 high schools. In years past, we were doing caps for every team in some conferences where we only had a local team or two. So we cut those non-area school caps, and condensed the area schools. We have four city schools that get a story. There's a feature on every conference, plus caps. And, of course, the cover story. Goes to bed tomorrow, out for consumption on Friday. Yee-hah!

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

The only way we sell papers in our market is to whip the larger papers in terms of prep coverage.

It's not just our bread and butter... in terms of sports, it's our life blood.

12. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

11 schools, 56 pages...only about 20 percent ads, but God help the guy who makes it any thinner. Football fans here are rabid, and mean as hell to boot.
    But I'm hourly now...my last day as a salaried employee, I spent 14 hours in the office laying out the section.
    I went to Damon's yesterday for a thick prime rib and a beer to celebrate. I think I earned it.

Draft saved Draft deleted