1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wimbledon 2015

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jun 29, 2015.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think Hingis is in heaven right now. No pressure. Still gets to play a game she loves. Performs well. And surrounded by lots of hot male players she can destroy hook up with.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

... And she does a little coaching on the side. Nice life if you can get it.

Beats the hell outta rehab.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hingis and Mirza won doubles today. 7-5 in the third after dropping the first set, in the mixed doubles Sunday after the big boys play on Centre Court.

Oh, ho hum, another Serena Slam. I've poo-poohed for years Serena being better than Steffi. Different eras, etc. But two Serena Slams, shot at the calendar year Slam ... impressive, no matter how lackluster the competition.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The second set of today's men's final was some of the best tennis I've ever seen, and I grew up on Edberg/McEnroe/Connors/Becker/Lendl/Wilander/Agassi/Sampras, etc. Unfortunately, Roger probably wore himself out with that tiebreak comeback. Novak has a pretty legit chance to be the GOAT. Eight majors at 28, with some of his main competition in varying levels of decline.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I still keep waiting for Serena to hit the wall like Venus did ... and waiting ...

If Serena has Navratilova longevity, she could approach 30 Grand Slams. But her body can't hold up that much longer. It just can't.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not to sound sexist, but neither Williams sister has expressed an interest in having children. At ages 35 & 34 if it isnt a priority, it probably will never be. Could prolong Serena's career into her 40's

7. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Doesn't the fact that Federer is able to remain competitive at age 33 against prime Djokovic help solidify his GOAT status? I know you're not saying Djokovic is the best ever at this moment, and if he were able to put 17 or 18 on the board you couldn't really go wrong with the decision, but I've felt that Nadal's swift decline coupled with Federer's continued greatness (or at least very, very goodness) has sort of solidified his place.

Not as much as winning the final this year or last year against Djokovic would have, but still.

8. BTExpress

Yes, it can.

Serena has played a scaled-down schedule for much of her career (required WTA events and majors and not much else) and doesn't have as much "tennis mileage" on her as her age would suggest.

She has played 844 singles matches at age 33 and change. Let's say she plays two U.S. Open tuneups and the Open itself. That would mean about 860 matches when she turns 34 in September.

Martina Navratilova played 1,661 singles matches, Chris Evert 1,445. Steffi Graf played 1,017 --- and retired at age 30, four years younger than Serena.

9. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

I too grew up on the 70's and 80's tennis, when it was bigger than the NFL or NBA (look it up, amazing but true.) Federer is the GOAT, very little doubt given his amazing semi-final streak, and his 18 majors. The only thing that niggles at my is that in his run from 2003-1008, who challenged him on grass or the hardcourts? Roddick (what a fraud, weakest 2hand backhand every for a major title winner?) Until Nadal shifted his game from the clay, there was no Murray, Djokovic, even no Wawrinka. Federer's greatness was the way he seemed like he could play any style he wanted, s & v, backcourt, all court, he could beat anyone any way.

I root for Djokovic because I admire the way he fought through to be No. 1, not giving up when he was getting bounced in the finals by Fed and Nadal, but raising his fitness and his mental toughness.

The tennis today was extremely high level, beautiful serving, beautiful volleying, passing shots, lobs. Difference to me was the footwork and Djokovic's ability to get his consistency from the baseline and dominate at the end the long rallies.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

As long as Serena has a dominant serve, and the ability to trounce the weak second serves of her opponents, she can keep going for a long time. That said, she's now having to expend a ton of emotional energy to get herself going, way more than even two years ago, which could eventually take a toll.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think Hingis did (or maybe still does) play on the DC team in whatever that summer league is. They used to play on the southeast waterfront here, but with all the construction over there, I'm not sure where they're playing anymore.

12. BTExpress

Her record after losing the first set of matches is phenomenal. Almost becoming a routine. Sleepwalk through the first set, then two sets of "COME ON!!!!" after every winner until the foe is vanquished.

Draft saved Draft deleted