1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilpons Selling Part of Mets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by derwood, Jan 28, 2011.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/wilpons-selling-part-of-mets-1.2644376

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which part?

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The part they can use to make up for the money they lost with Bernie Madoff. Seriously.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Of course, the reason they are "willing to sell a share" of the team is to pay off the Madoff victms who are suing Sterling Equities et al for a share of the Wilpons' PROFIT from the Madoff scheme.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

People seem to forget the Wilpons made some money from Bernie. Are they liable for more than the profit, though?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Francesca's being innundated with calls about this, of course. . . it's occasionally interesting listening, but frequently painful. Mike's out of his
    depth, here (as most sports jocks would be), but he's trying to make the best of it.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My bad. That makes the situation even worse.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What's the attraction of being a minority owner in a Wilpon-run operation, even (as has been pointed out) if by doing so, you might be able to negotiate "right of first refusal" in case the Wilpons ever decided to/needed to sell the whole show?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's an investment and it's a bragging item.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You get to get pushed around by the President of the Lucky Sperm Club, Lil' Jeffy Wilpon?

I openly root for these despicable people to fail. This is step one in a process that will eventually yield a result so satisfying, I will need to smoke a fucking cigarette.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Isn't that how they got the franchise from Doubleday?

But, I agree. Wouldn't want to throw in with them. And, I saw someplace else that they're not including the stadium or their share in SNY in any deal.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

SNY is an epic money machine.

Draft saved Draft deleted