1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WILMA! Get me my smokes!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Apr 21, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I'll recover from this trauma. A bit of a lead-in: The original Flintstones in the early 1960s was a Honeymooners homage geared toward adults, not the kiddie fare it is now. The first season was sponsored by Winston, and well......*cringe.

What's next, Donald Duck putting a pinch between his cheek and gum?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Outstanding!

Here's something else to remind you that everyone's favourite modern stone-age family was really meant to be watched by adults - Fred and Wilma were, after a while, shown sleeping in the same bed. For the early '60s, that would have been very significant. Only a few years earlier, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz had enjoyed all the creative control in the world on "I Love Lucy," and yet Lucy and Ricky were never allowed to occupy the same bed. It just wasn't done.

Plus, Pebbles Flintstone didn't just show up one day with no explanation as to how she got there - Wilma's pregnancy was depicted over a series of episodes. All on prime time.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Kids everywhere were just pulled from their television sets and have no idea why.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Also on I Love Lucy when Lucy was expecting, they were not allowed to say "pregnant".

There's all sorts of early cigarette ads that are a hoot.

I'll see your Flinstones and raise you................A DOCTOR!!

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or Bugs Bunny in drag and kissing Elmer Fudd?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Warner Brothers believed in equal rights even back then, allowing Bugs to be on top from time to time.

[​IMG]

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

While we're busy destroying childhood images, let me pull my favorite Porky Pig clip, one I didn't discover until I went to a Spike and Mike festival in 1992.

Enjoy!

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I laughed out loud to that one.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fool me once...

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But.....but...these are cartoons! There couldn't possibly be any adult ideas in them!

(I can't wait to get home and watch those youtube clips).

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And Wilma is one of those gals who looks kinda good while smoking.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted