1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will we see another player/manager or player/coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Sep 15, 2012.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Rose was the last full-time player/manager, right?

Baseball-specific: Would a player/manager count against the 25-man?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Don't know if Frank Robinson was player/manager before or after Rose.

If someone were a player/manager, he would count against the 25-man roster IINM.

3. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

I know the NBA's collective bargaining agreement forbids it.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Considering Rose himself, who gave regular playing time and an everyday starting position to a washed-up, burned-out, has-been 45-year-old first baseman simply because he was chasing an all-time hit record, without regard to how the player's sub-replacement-level performance was hurting the team, was a glaring example of why you should not have a player-manager, I doubt there will be any more.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Robinson was pre rose. Manning is/was essentially a player coach. And i am pretty sure there hsd been an actual nfl player/ coach in recent years. A db. Cant think of name.

6. Starman

There hasn't been an actual NFL player/HEAD coach since the 1920s.

Tom Landry was supposedly the Giants' defensive coordinator late in his career in the 1950s.

Of course while in all pro sports certain star players are "essentially" coaches (or GMs) in the sense that if they want the team to do something, it will be done, they don't have the actual titles.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I could see it happening in MLB. Was Cowens the NBA's last?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Pujols will be player coach of YOUR 2021 defending ALW cellar-dweller Angels.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fixed.
    And also a valid point, I think. Did Rose's actions scare owners away from thinking player-managers were viable? That keeping those jobs separate was another form of insurance against someone going rogue and gambling on games?

10. Starman

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Kenny Williams was kicking around making Paul Konerko a player-manager when Guillen went to Miami.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Considering egos and all, it would seem really too hard to be subjective as a player/manager.
    Think of a quick example: Bases loaded bottom of the ninth, runners on 1st and 3rd with one out. You're up. You have a lifetime batting average of .056 against the pitcher including grounding into nine double plays. Do you take yourself out?

Draft saved Draft deleted